Do you have a passion for customer service? Are you an organized individual? Are you looking for a job with great benefits? Our culture allows for you to have a work life balance, with no on-call shifts, no nights, and no weekend hours. We offer a flexible schedule with start times that meet your family's needs. If this is what you are seeking, then the Department of Revenue (DOR) is the place for you!
DOR offers 13 paid holidays a year, retirement contributions, 12 sick days a year, 12 vacation days a year! We offer competitive health insurance benefits, life insurance and an employee assistance program. We also invest in our staff's development and offer Linkedin Learning Subscriptions to our staff.
Hiring rate of pay: Negotiable based on experience, within fiscal constraints, if approved.
Location: Nebraska Lottery; 137 NW 17th ST; Lincoln, NE
Schedule: 40 hrs weekly
Under limited supervision, performs full-performance professional accounting work involving a wide variety of accounting and related financial activities.
**The Department does not sponsor non-immigrant work visas for this position.**
Examples of Work
1) Advises subordinates and other agency personnel concerning accounting procedures and policies to answer inquiries and to provide professional guidance in the resolution of accounting problems.
2) Consults with and advises management on financial matters to exchange information, to identify the characteristics and impact of financial problems, and to formulate possible solutions.
3) Interprets appropriate federal and State laws, rules, regulations, and standards to ensure compliance and efficient operation in accordance with prescribed accounting principles, theories, and concepts.
4) Surveys and studies agency accounting systems and needs to develop plans to modify existing systems or design and install new systems that will more effectively meet agency goals and objectives.
5) Writes and disseminates instructions, manuals, and procedures relating to accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting to facilitate employee production.
6) Compiles, synthesizes, and analyzes data from vouchers, ledgers, journals, computer printouts, files, and/or microfiche to prepare reports and statements and to provide management data for planning, budgeting, and decision making.
7) Audits/examines data on vouchers, invoices, computer printouts, and other source documents to ensure the information is accurate and complete and meets established agency requirements.
8) Computes amounts to be disbursed to and/or collected from providers, clients, or governmental agencies and then using Electronic Fund Transfer systems where appropriate, apply collection and/or refund procedures and to maintain a sound financial status.
9) Enters data onto forms, vouchers, warrants, and other documents to facilitate processing and ensure proper accounting of funds.
10) Using computerized systems, posts data to ledgers, journals, and work sheets to establish and maintain records of all financial transactions.
11) Using computerized systems, balances and/or reconciles ledgers, journals, worksheets and accounts to verify that posting is complete and accurate.
Qualifications / Requirements
REQUIREMENTS: Associates degree in accounting, finance, business administration, statistics or related field and experience with accounting/financial management systems OR 2 years experience with professional accounting procedures including developing and modifying accounting/financial management systems.
OTHER: at the final selection step, in accordance with state statute Section 9-808, the Department will conduct background investigations which will include, but not be limited to, checks of police records, conviction records, national and statewide criminal records clearinghouse, and fingerprint. It is a condition of employment with the Nebraska Lottery that an applicant will supply his or her fingerprints and complete a disclosure form for the purpose of conducting a background investigation. Any individual convicted of any crime involving moral turpitude, fraud, theft, theft of services, and theft by deception and any individual whose constitutional rights have been forfeited and not restored will not be eligible for employment with the Nebraska Lottery.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of: Professional accounting principles, theories and practices; GAAP; research practices and techniques; auditing principles and procedures; budget preparation; computerized accounting systems.
Ability to: Interact with supervisors, other employees, and the public to gain their cooperation and to establish working relationships; organize and present facts and opinions orally and in writing to exchange information and ideas and to promote agency needs, plans, and objectives; translate cash basis accounting transactions to full accrual basis; apply the principles of accounting, statistics, and fiscal management; manage funds and provide financial and budget recommendations; analyze data and draw conclusions.
Add your resume to our resume database that can be searched by employers looking to hire!
Stay up to date with job alerts! Customize your alerts based on a specific area, category and receive weekly updates!
Posted about 2 hours ago
Posted about 2 hours ago
Posted about 2 hours ago