Duke University was created in 1924 through an indenture of trust by James Buchanan Duke. Today, Duke is regarded as one of America's leading research universities. Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke is positioned in the heart of the Research Triangle, which is ranked annually as one of the best places in the country to work and live. Duke has more than 15,000 students who study and conduct research in its 10 undergraduate, graduate and professional schools. With about 40,000 employees, Duke is the third largest private employer in North Carolina, and it now has international programs in more than 150 countries.
Admissions Officer II
Working title: Assistant Dir.of Admissions
The Nicholas School of the Environment (NSOE)'s Student Services Office consists of residential Master of Environmental Management (MEM) and Master of Forestry (MF) degree programs, a distance learning MEM program (DEL-MEM) for mid-career professionals, executive education short courses, and the Career & Professional Development Center. This department supports all day-to-day operations for approximately 350 students and periodic cohorts of visiting non- matriculated students participating in executive education courses.
As part of the enrollment services team, this position will manage and support a variety of duties with a primary focus in the recruitment of professional master's degree student applicants for admission to Duke University. This position must handle multiple tasks, work simultaneously with other departments, interact comfortably with students, faculty, and administrators, and work successfully as part of the Student Services team. This position must have strong interpersonal, computer, analytical, and time management skills, and have demonstrated recruitment and admissions experience. Must be willing to actively engage in a collaborative and supportive team environment to reach and exceed established goals.
This is a full time, exempt position, and requires a Monday through Friday work schedule on Duke's Durham, NC campus. Hours are expected to vary during peak travel and recruiting and admissions season (evenings, some weekends). Must also be able to work occasional early morning, evening, and weekend hours in support of NSOE activities. Travel is expected primarily during recruitment season. This position reports to the Director of Enrollment Services.
Manage and implement recruitment and admissions process for MEM, MF and DEL-MEM professional masters programs. Manage, coordinate and actively participate in recruiting events, online and in-person. Execute responsibilities and tasks in a timely manner, and consistently meet deadlines.
Support development of recruiting materials and communications. Support a mixture of in-person and virtual recruitment events. The ability to travel is required (mostly seasonal). Visit secondary schools and other educational institutions and professional conferences, based on review of historical and market data. Represent Duke University to local, state and national admissions and related organizations. Utilize technology to host virtual recruiting events. Research and provide suggestions for new, creative, and effective recruiting strategies and opportunities. Maintain awareness of peer institution recruiting events, strategies, and timelines.
Assist in the development of annual admissions strategy and schedule. Coordinate with fellow enrollment services team members to implement annual admissions plan. Maintain key admissions data and metrics.
Assist in analyzing recruiting and admissions data to support future decisions; support the Director with data collection efforts for communication of key findings to senior leadership. Work closely with the
Student Information and Services System (SISS) office to ensure successful launch and implementation of the online application system. Utilize Slate and PeopleSoft technologies to their fullest capacity to provide appropriate solutions, customizations and enhance the user online experience for prospective students and applicants.
Prepare admissions rubric and strategic plans. Collaborate with Director and faculty in development of admissions plans and applicant evaluation. Support the implementation of admissions interviews, as appropriate. Train the enrollment services team, as well as other Student Services staff team members, on application review, implementation of admissions rubric and admissions decisions.
Analyze qualifications of prospective students utilizing established University admissions standards, guidelines and criteria, reviewing unusual circumstances with supervisor as appropriate. Correspond with prospective students, applicants, University alumni, guidance counselors and others seeking information on admissions standards, academic and non-academic programs and student activities.
Provide admissions decision recommendations and maintain applicant and admissions decision data. During reading season (December - February), read and evaluate applications for admission in a timely and efficient manner.
Support, create, implement engaging admitted student event programming, both in-person and virtual. Tasks include event agenda creation, outreach with faculty, current students, alumni, and university contacts, event space and catering management, attendance recruitment and engagement, post-event follow-up.
Participate in the creation of a marketing and communications plan - in collaboration with the Marketing & Communications team.
Ensure website content is current, effective and accurate. Support utilization of social media to communicate key recruiting and admissions information to prospective applicants and admitted students.
Support Student Services events including master's project symposia, orientation, graduation, etc. Actively engage in team meetings, retreats.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
· Experience and a commitment to student-centered, data-driven decision making and the ability to draw on collaborative relationships in building a successful base for university enrollment. Desire to engage in a collaborative, supportive, committed team working toward recruiting, admitting, and supporting purpose-driven professional graduate students.
· Work requires proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Must be proficient with technology and online web-conferencing tools. Must have intermediate to advanced proficiency in the use of Excel spreadsheets and spreadsheet functions, such as Pivot Tables, to summarize and analyze data.
· Experience with management of admissions and applications tools. Experience with Slate is preferred. Familiarity with PeopleSoft is a plus.
· Enrollment services experience for professional/graduate programs is a plus. Demonstrated experience in event management.
· Must exhibit clear and effective verbal and written communications skills. Comfort and experience with public speaking and facilitating virtual events.
· Requires flexible hours to support peak periods of recruitment and admissions season. Travel is required. Occasional heavy lifting required.
· Requires empathy and skill at recruiting and working with others with different backgrounds and perspectives. Demonstrated success recruiting underrepresented groups in STEM-related fields is a plus.
· Must be disciplined, focused, and self-motivated to read applications on time and meet weekly reading goals.
· Experience working and succeeding in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that is committed to continuous improvement; ability to receive and implement feedback is critical.
· Experience working with faculty is a plus.
· Interest and/or knowledge in the environment field and/or the environment are a plus.
· The ideal candidate will bring creativity and initiative to this position. Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and follow-through, ability to produce quality work in a timely fashion, and manage multiple projects simultaneously are critical.
· Must be able to exercise independent judgment and maintain confidentiality.
Work generally requires a knowledge and understanding of college experience and student life obtained through the attainment of a bachelor's degree.
Two years of experience as an Admissions Officer or the equivalent at a OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE comparablecollege or university.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Add your resume to our resume database that can be searched by employers looking to hire!
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!
Wilmington, North Carolina
Posted about 4 hours ago
Posted 37 minutes ago
Posted 37 minutes ago