Assistant Director, Administration and Career ResourcesPosition Type:
SA3082122Full or Part Time:
Full TimeEmployee Status :
07/15/2022Job Description Summary:
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President (AVP) of Career and Professional Development, the Assistant Director of Administration and Career Resources will help set the strategic plan for operations within the Career and Professional Development (CPD) Office and monitor and report progress toward strategic goals and objectives.Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director will analyze and manage all departmental financial/budget matters to strategize, develop, and enhance processes for the CPD. The incumbent will support the AVP in vetting and assessing new career development technologies and resources.
The Assistant Director will also oversee the implementation of new technology platforms and resources that equitably scale CPD's services to all Chapman students and alumni and train staff and students on their usage. Additionally, the incumbent will manage the CPD's talent recruitment and onboarding process by recruiting, onboarding, training, and supervising the CPD's student workers.
Strategic Planning and Career Resources
- With the AVP, lead comprehensive department strategy to ensure the effective use of resources (budget, human resources, physical/space resources, and technology) and the assessment of services, programs, and utilization of resources
- Direct and continually improve processes for office-wide administrative functions, including exploring new career technology and resources.
- Work with the AVP and Director of CPD to establish departmental procedures and operational guidelines.
- Assess and recommend new emerging technologies, SaaS platforms, and other resources that enhance the accessibility of career development and student employment services.
- Work closely with the Data and Systems Analyst to oversee the implementation and, as necessary, the maintenance of each new career development resource.
Office Administration and Project Management
- Manage all finance and budgeting matters for the CPD, and serve as a liaison on behalf of the CPD with the University Advancement (UA) Operations Team.
- Provide analysis and create budget proposals for new strategic initiatives and budgetary allocations.
- Advise the AVP and identify strategic budget requests and allocations using university and UA protocols.
- Ensure compliance with university and UA budget/financial policies and protocols.
- Produce financial reporting and projections on a consistent basis to inform the CPD on the financial health of the office.
- Manage budget details, including tracking and reconciling expenditures and revenue, as well as non-compensation budget lines.
- Develop and control budgets on a program or event basis.
- Negotiate financial terms and review expenditures for accuracy.
Relationship Management and Supervision
- Manage the daily operations of the CPD, including purchasing, meeting prioritization and preparation, scheduling and supervising student workers and special projects, ensuring the office is run in an efficient, responsive, and accurate manner.
- Advise and train staff on the university and UA policies and procedures, address questions, and ensure compliance with administrative, operational, and financial activities.
- Perform a variety of highly responsible, confidential, and complex administrative support.
- Generate invoices and collect career fair, information session, resume book, and other payments.
- Manage all assigned meeting/event details including set-up, A/V needs, guest and attendee logistics, security, sustainability, and health protocols.
- Negotiate and contract with campus constituents and outside vendors for a variety of goods, services, space, equipment, etc., engaging the Legal Affairs Office as necessary for contract review and execution. Monitor delivery of goods and services to ensure contract terms are satisfied.
- Develop systems to monitor deadlines and regularly evaluate department administrative systems and services.
- Ensure that departmental and university deadlines are met regarding a variety of administrative processes.
- Assist in maintaining current and accurate electronic and physical files.
- Coordinate and manage department and committee meetings that include agenda preparation, briefing materials, meeting materials, minutes, speakers, committee reports, capturing and tracking RSVPs, and venue selection.
- Conduct research, gather data, and prepare reports as needed.
- Develop the scope of work, creating project timelines, producing communications materials, event briefings, and timely reports.
- Work closely with other departments, including the UA, Human Resources, Legal Affairs, Financial Services, Risk Management, Facilities, and Chapman schools and colleges.
- Manage the talent recruitment and onboarding processes in collaboration with HR and hiring managers. Provide new hire orientation for administrative procedures to new CPD staff.
- Partner with all necessary campus partners to ensure that all events comply with university and fire safety standards and requirements and new pandemic-driven event guidelines and policies.
- Hire, train, and supervise student workers, create and manage their work schedules, approve timesheets, and stay within the allotted student worker budget.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience in career services, event planning, or administration in an academic or related setting.
- Ability to manage long-range projects while meeting daily operational and business needs.
- Strong oral, written, and quantitative and culturally competent communication skills, including excellent use of grammar and proven ability to prepare, edit, and proofread documents.
- Strong interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with a wide variety of constituents, including students, alumni, employers, faculty, donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to comprehend a process and/or procedure and take a given task from beginning to completion.
- Strong ability to manage several different projects simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented, and ability to remain flexible to changing business needs and priorities.
- A high level of professionalism, responsiveness, and excellent customer service skills.
- High proficiency in CRM systems, SaaS platforms, and Microsoft Excel building budgets and spreadsheets.
- Proven ability to learn new technology and systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, keen attention to detail, and the ability to analyze and report on quantitative data and provide sound recommendations and significant decisions.
- Ability to conduct research, gather and interpret data using charts, graphs, and narrative reports to describe trends.
- Aptitude to exercise initiative and independent judgment and to work with reasonable independence.
- Leadership skills to supervise, train, and prioritize workflow.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department needs, including early morning, late evening, and weekend events.
- Aptitude to understand and consistently ensure compliance with university policies, state and federal rules and regulations, including FERPA and data privacy and security regulations.
- Ability to use sound judgment, tact, and diplomacy and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Proficiency with project management software, such as Wrike, and career services technology, such as Handshake, VMock Smart Resume, Interstride, PeopleGrove, etc.
- Experience assessing business processes and tools and developing strategic plans and roadmaps.