Job no: 514617
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: Enrollment Management Ops
Categories: Admissions/Enrollment/Student Recruitment
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
This position will plan, administer and implement strategies regarding undergraduate student recruitment, selection and yield enterprise to meet institutional undergraduate admission and enrollment goals of increasing underrepresented student populations.
- Develops and implements a plan to achieve the goal of increasing applications and enrollment of underrepresented student populations. Uses data to research, investigate, and monitor trends to develop a comprehensive communication and recruitment plan. Develops and implements strategies to aid the University in creating and maintaining a diverse community.
- Develops and presents a budget to plan, execute and evaluate events for application and yield growth. Tracks activities, evaluates results, and creates specific reports for senior leadership.
- Plans and conducts in-person and virtual recruitment travel following university and office travel policies. Represent UMass Amherst by visiting high schools, community-based organizations, and college and career fairs. Conducts large and small group presentations. Tracks fiscal expenditures to maintain budget targets. Manages and orders publications needed for specific travel regions.
- Serves as active member of territory strategic planning teams in accordance with overall undergraduate recruitment and enrollment goals.
- Manages the application review of the most competitive schools, colleges, and/or majors at the university. Collaborates with academic deans and staff in the schools, colleges, and majors, as well as other application readers in evaluating and making admissions decisions.
- Individually reviews and evaluates first-year admissions applications (domestic and international). Determine eligibility by evaluating the academic and non-academic credentials based on established criteria.
- Analyzes, makes recommendations, and participates in the decision-making process on candidates whose applications need further review.
- Serve as an active member of application review team(s), which are responsible for meeting admission goals for individual academic schools, colleges, and departments.
- Represents UMass Amherst at formal on- and off-campus recruitment and yield information sessions and events. Conveys key admissions policies, procedures, and institutional messages to the public, prospective applicants and families to demonstrate how UMass Amherst can meet their academic and career goals.
- Communicates with prospective students, school and community organization counselors, and parents. Serves in a public relations and information role by analyzing individual circumstances, answering questions, researching and solving problems by determining the most appropriate course of action. Provides detailed information on a variety of subjects, including but not limited to admission, academics, financial aid, student life, and residential life.
- Develops and implements diversity recruitment and enrollment initiatives that help meet the strategic recruitment and enrollment goals of the university.
- Assists with campus-wide recruitment and enrollment efforts related to enrolling diverse students, including on- and off-campus events in collaboration with campus partners.
- Acts as a project/program manager, under the direction of the Director of First-Year Admissions, on medium- to large-sized projects/programs by establishing and executing project plans, timelines, tasks and objectives to support the assigned project/program.
- Works collaboratively with admissions colleagues, enrollment division staff, and personnel from other departments within the university on internal special and/or standing teams and/or committees.
Other FunctionsReads transfer applications for admission when necessary.Keeps abreast of pertinent developments at the university, in higher education, and in the field of professional admission work.Performs related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)Bachelor's degree and one (1) year of professional experience as an admissions counselor/recruiter.Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the undergraduate experience at a major research university.Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with high school students, their families and college counselors in a variety of settings, to speak and write clearly and persuasively and to interact with people from diverse backgrounds. Must be sensitive to multicultural and socioeconomic issues.Excellent problem-solving skills.Knowledge of relevant technology to make presentations and analyze data.Willingness and ability to travel throughout the academic year, and the flexibility to work on weekends and evenings as needed.Ability to read, analyze, and make admissions decisions based on applications, high school transcripts, recommendations, etc.Ability to work independently and as part of a team, to prioritize, and to achieve goals and objectives while managing multiple concurrent priorities.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)Prior experience working in a large public research university.Demonstrated competency in analyzing data and translating program goals into successful operating plans.Previous experience with a customer relations management system.Valid driver's license.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Typical office environment.
- Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.
- Required to work some evenings and weekends.
- Required to travel up to 10 weeks per year for both in and out of state recruitment.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee's work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with the application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The search will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 15 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
This job has expired.