Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Assistant Director (Project Manager) supports the marketing plan for the University in alignment with Development and External Affairs goals and SMU's strategic plan.
The role quarterbacks marketing projects that contribute to SMU priorities and success metrics, and achieve project objectives, schedule and budget requirements.
The position coordinates the efforts of SMU Marketing and Communications colleagues in ways that strengthen communication and alignment.
The position also serves as the primary point of contact with project stakeholders on other DEA teams and in SMU schools and units; understands stakeholders' audiences, needs and objectives; works with stakeholders to determine the scope and timeline necessary for project success and for positive contribution to University marketing goals; communicates clearly with stakeholders from project initiation to completion; and contributes to SMU brand compliance efforts.
- Manage marketing projects effectively so they are completed within committed time, scope and budget. Consistently follow SMU's project management process and standards, including maintaining accurate project records and developing project briefs. Serve as primary contact with project stakeholders and work with them to agree on scope and schedule that align with University's priorities.
- Understand stakeholder objectives, audiences and challenges; and communicate those clearly to Marketing and Communications colleagues. Work with Marketing and Communications team leads to identify the staff and external resources necessary to achieve project success.
- Communicate with Marketing and Communications teammates, stakeholders and any external resources to keep everyone aware of project status, and lead discussions about how to adjust schedule if priorities shift. Proactively identify potential pitfalls and lead efforts to address them before they become problems.
- Evaluate creative, photo and video, and digital work for alignment with project objectives and brand standards, when necessary serving as the voice of the stakeholder and/or audience during discussions. Make sure that completed jobs are properly archived and billed.
- Contribute to team efforts to define and continually improve project management processes. Champion the SMU brand, voice and tone, content pillars and visuals and encourage compliance.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in business, marketing or related field.
A minimum of three years of professional work experience is required. Experience simultaneously managing multiple projects that have different stakeholders and collaboration with multiple team members is also required.
Candidate must have experience serving as the primary point of contact for project stakeholders, as well as experience working on both digital and print projects.
Experience working for a creative agency or in-house marketing team with significant stakeholder interaction preferred. Project management training or certification (such as PMP) is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing. The ability to disseminate information into precise and effective communications is essential.
Candidate must possess strong organizational, planning and time-management skills with the ability to proactively manage multiple projects to ensure high-quality standards and all deadlines are met. Must also demonstrate a strong attention to detail, the ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to changing priorities.
Candidate must possess strong problem solving skills with the ability to be resourceful, proactive and seek assistance as needed. The ability to work both independently and in a team-focused, collaborative environment is essential. Must also be a team player with a can do attitude and have proven experience collaborating with many stakeholders.
Advanced knowledge and understanding of marketing principles strongly preferred while basic knowledge is required.
Candidate must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Familiarity with project management and database software (such as Asana and FileMaker) required; expert knowledge preferred.
Deadline to Apply:
December 17, 2021
Physical and Environmental Demands:
- Sit for long periods of time
SMU must comply with President Biden's Executive Order (EO) 14042 requiring those that receive federal contracts and their employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they apply for and are granted an exemption for religious or medical reasons.
For more information regarding this requirement, please visit our website.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SMU offers staff a broad, competitive array of health and related benefits. In addition to traditional benefits such as health, dental, and vision plans, SMU offers a wide range of wellness programs to help attract, support, and retain our employees whose work continues to make SMU an outstanding education and research institution.
SMU is committed to providing an array of retirement programs that benefit and protect you and your family throughout your working years at SMU and, if you meet SMU's retirement eligibility criteria, during your retirement years after you leave SMU.
The value of learning at SMU isn't just about preparing our students for the future. Employees have access to a wide variety of professional and personal development opportunities, including tuition benefits.
This job has expired.