This individual will report into the Head of Business Development, OAPI. He/ she will support Otsuka's Business Development activities in the US and EU focusing on pre-clinical and clinical stage business development opportunities. The Associate Director Business Development must possess substantial scientific knowledge and experience working in industry to understand the drug discovery and development process, and how scientific assessment within business development can advance our portfolio interests. The role requires extensive experience in the pharmaceutical industry, including a broad and deep understanding of development, regulatory and (ideally) commercial experience. This individual will participate in the process for identifying, prioritizing and sequencing of projects within pre-clinical / clinical stage business development, and gain BD experience through working within the broader global BD teams. Ensure initiatives are in alignment with corporate strategy objectives. Acts as a communication conduit for business project status, actions, decisions, risk and issues and schedules for assigned projects.
- Lead search and evaluation activities and projects with the support of other BD colleagues in the Neuroscience and Nephrology fields to proactively identify and solicit new strategic research partnerships with biotech and pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, non-profit research or patient organizations
- Work closely with relevant internal R&D teams to deeply understand their scientific strategy and align outreach strategy with existing and new areas of Otsuka's R&D focus to align on opportunity assessment
- Participate in in-depth reviews and due diligence on external opportunities and act as a point of contact between the alliance teams and committees to assure successful collaboration with respect to development and commercialization of product
- Collaborate with BD evaluation lead to drive the activities/input necessary to establish the business case (scientific/ technical evaluation, development plan, market research, market opportunity, competitive intelligence, strategic assessment, appropriate transaction financial structure etc.) and present it to senior leaders in the business
- Maintains a therapeutic understanding and competence in area of focus to understand business, science and operations to lead to viable opportunities.
- Perform initial scientific evaluation of external opportunities across all stages of development
- Business development experience within pre-clinical and/or clinical stage business development
- Requires demonstrated knowledge and understanding of pharmaceutical development and commercialization and business practices required to successfully bring drugs to market
- Knowledge of regulated environments across key geographies
- Extensive scientific knowledge - ideally in neuroscience and / or nephrology, and / or other significant scientific training is required
- Self-starter who is able to effectively lead multiple projects simultaneously
- Deliver and produce outcomes consistently over time
- Strong interpersonal relationships to strengthen business relationships
- Effective creator and presenter of executive and functional information
- Strong business acumen and analytic and quantitative skills
- Utilizes experience, presentation and influencing skills to facilitate successful acquisition of the right opportunities
- Highly collaborative - demonstrates team and resource management skills; including the ability to manage team dynamics across companies.
- Ability to influence and manage cross-functional teams
- Senior stakeholder management
- Consistently demonstrates competencies at the Associate Director level: Strategic Agility, Learning Agility, Contributing to Effective Teams, Decision Quality, Dealing with Ambiguity, Managerial Courage, Managing with Vision/Purpose, Matrix working
Education and Related Experience:
- Required: BS/BA and scientific graduate degree (PhD or MD)
- MBA preferred, but not mandatory with:
- 6+ years working in business development, commercial and/or medical affairs area of pharmaceutical or biotechnology
- Experience in sourcing and evaluating pharmaceutical or biotech products, for potential licensing /acquisition
- Experience managing people, vendors or high performing teams.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and project management skills
- Independent, creative, highly motivated team player with a "nothing is impossible" attitude
- Able to perform in a fast-paced environment, manage multiple priorities simultaneously, and communicate complex information clearly
Come discover more about Otsuka and our benefit offerings; https://www.otsuka-us.com/careers-join-otsuka.Disclaimer:
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.Valid Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination or Accommodation
The COVID-19 Vaccination is mandatory for incoming new hires and employees. Uploading documentation with proof of full vaccination record or an Otsuka approved accommodation will be required during the pre-employment process as permitted by law. New hires must be fully vaccinated unless there is an approved accommodation prior to start date.Statement Regarding Job Recruiting Fraud Scams
At Otsuka we take security and protection of your personal information very seriously. Please be aware individuals may approach you and falsely present themselves as our employees or representatives. They may use this false pretense to try to gain access to your personal information or acquire money from you by offering fictitious employment opportunities purportedly on our behalf.
Please understand, Otsuka will never
ask for financial information of any kind or for payment of money during the job application process. We do not require any financial, credit card or bank account information and/or any payment of any kind to be considered for employment. We will also not offer you money to buy equipment, software, or for any other purpose during the job application process. If you are being asked to pay or offered money for equipment fees or some other application processing fee, even if claimed you will be reimbursed, this is not Otsuka. These claims are fraudulent and you are strongly advised to exercise caution when you receive such an offer of employment.
Otsuka will also never ask you to download a third-party application in order to communicate about a legitimate job opportunity. Scammers may also send offers or claims from a fake email address or from Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc, and not from an official Otsuka email address. Please take extra caution while examining such an email address, as the scammers may misspell an official Otsuka email address and use a slightly modified version duplicating letters.
To ensure that you are communicating about a legitimate job opportunity at Otsuka, please only deal directly with Otsuka through its official Otsuka Career website https://vhr-otsuka.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External.
Otsuka will not be held liable or responsible for any claims, losses, damages or expenses resulting from job recruiting scams. If you suspect a position is fraudulent, please contact Otsuka's call center at: 800-363-5670. If you believe you are the victim of fraud resulting from a job recruiting scam, please contact the FBI through the Internet Crime Complaint Center at: https://www.ic3.gov, or your local authorities.
This job has expired.