Do you have a genuine interest in science and are you looking to support researchers in scholarly publication? Then this might be your opportunity to join us as an Associate Scientific Editor!
Within our Science, Technology and Medical Journal (STMJ) Team we are hiring a team of Associate Scientific Editors with a PhD in various physical science fields.
In this role you will work together with a publisher to improve the author experience and help authors find a suitable home for their paper. You will:
- evaluate content as a partner to external editors,
- iteratively improve on the editorial process for editors and reviewers,
- engage closely with authors to help them improve their manuscripts,
- help authors increase their odds of success to be published in another journal if rejected from their first choice.
Content evaluation is based on questions such as: is the article submitted within the aims and scope of the journal(s); does the science make sense; do the results support the main conclusions; have the authors chosen an appropriate method; is the manuscript of sufficient quality; Is this the right journal for this work, or could the authors improve their manuscript to increase their odds of success at another journal?
You will offer authors guidance and ensure a smooth overall experience for authors who submit to our journals.What you should bring
What we offer
- PhD in the physical sciences, e.g. chemistry, physics, materials science, engineering, astronomy, geology, etc.
- An experimental, results-driven, and enthusiastic work attitude
- Record of having published papers in scientific journals
- Technology savvy, familiar with online platforms, social media and digital content
- Good communication skills and excellent written and spoken English
- Relationship builder and self-starter; ability to build relationships both within the scientific community as well as within Elsevier on different levels within a large international environment
- Broad scientific interest and desire to serve and help customers in the scientific and clinical community: authors, editors and reviewers
This is a full-time, in-house scientific editor position. We welcome you to a truly global, dynamic and challenging environment with great opportunities to develop yourself. This role may be located at any one of our global locations: Oxford, London, Amsterdam, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen.
Elsevier is a global information analytics company that helps institutions and professionals progress science, advance healthcare and improve performance for the benefit of humanity. Elsevier provides digital solutions and tools in the areas of strategic research management, R&D performance, clinical decision support, and professional education; including ScienceDirect, Scopus, ClinicalKey and Sherpath. Elsevier publishes over 2,500 digitized journals, including The Lancet and Cell, more than 35,000 e-book titles and many iconic reference works, including Gray's Anatomy. The job you are applying for is subject to a COVID-19 vaccination requirement.
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of vaccination showing their last dose of a COVID-19 2-dose vaccine or one dose of a single dose vaccine. If you are unable to be vaccinated due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance you should speak to a recruiter about requesting an exemption/accommodation.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.
This job has expired.