This position serves as a key executive team member and collaborates with all leaders to develop and align on AF Group's underwriting strategies. This individual provides direction to each brand's underwriting department by providing clear guidance on operating unit risk appetite, establishing quality controls, developing and monitoring metrics and providing expert insight into industry intelligence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
Major areas of responsibility for this position include, in collaboration with other departments, strategic planning, governance and overall management of underwriting discipline to ensure profitable growth for all lines of property and casualty insurance.
As a holding company resource, the specific responsibilities of the Chief Underwriting include the following:
- Develops and delegates authority for the brands to operate within set risk appetite.
- Work with each operating unit to ensure risk appetite is appropriate based on their skills and consistent with the holding company appetite.
- Implement quality and compliance controls and monitor results across underwriting, loss prevention, and premium audit departments.
- Execute on the Second Line of Defense of the Three Lines of Defense Model, ensure a formalized robust audit management process in place for First Line and Second Line of Defense.
- Lead Corporate Underwriting quality reviews on all brands, products and programs, including the auditing of all Fronting partners.
- Assess new underwriting, product and market opportunities.
- Establish, implement & monitor best practices to support the profitability of the brand operations in underwriting, loss prevention, and premium audit.
- Evaluate underwriting performance based on financial analysis. Includes rate, reserve adequacy, operational, planning and product reviews.
- Ensure the achievement of continued profitability and growth through assessment of risk tolerance, market appetite and emerging risk issues.
- Monitor underwriting processes, tools, and systems across each line of business, product, program and brand and collaborate with Enterprise Stakeholders in establishing consistency and driving innovative solutions
- Drive adherence to underwriting authority delegation, audit criteria and catastrophe management.
- Develop position papers and underwriting recommendations for emerging issues and collaborate with underwriting to implement changes where needed.
- Collaborate with Enterprise Risk Management, Actuarial, Claims and Regulatory Compliance to address governance and compliance issues related to underwriting practices
- Provide guidance and direction in the development of underwriting and training tools.
- Identify and track leading indicators of external market conditions for all lines of business
- Design and execute analysis covering industry conditions and insights from operating units. Evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning, introduction of new programs/strategies and regulatory action; continually assess operational effectiveness with respect to cost, efficiency and quality.
- Work with all AF Group brands and distribution channels to ensure the market needs and opportunities are fully understood
- Continuously scan for innovative underwriting practices, future of underwriting, product opportunities and operational efficiencies for underwriting.Enhance the reputation of the organization as an underwriting thought leader through publications, presentations and recognitions, industry programs, conferences and affiliations.
- Creation of and execution of strong quality and compliance programs that ensure any existing or new products have the appropriate oversight throughout the product lifecycle.
- Develop and manage both internal and external relationships in a way that strengthens trust in the business partnership.
Directly manages exempt and non-exempt staff. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with company policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, selecting and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints; and resolving problems.
Performs other related duties which may not be specifically listed in the position description, but which are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee's class of work. QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION
Bachelor's degree in related field required. Industry designations preferred. EXPERIENCE
Ten years of relevant experience is preferred, with strong focus on underwriting experience, which would provide the necessary skills, knowledge and abilities. Five years of progressively increasing executive responsibilities with demonstrated leadership abilities. Experience in commercial multi-line with a workers' compensation focus with demonstrated technical knowledge preferred. Strong background of driving disruptive ideas which have moved from concept to production products and services. SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
- Expert knowledge of the underwriting discipline and evaluation of underwriting performance based on financial analysis including rate, reserve adequacy, operational, planning and product reviews.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills, and senior level skills in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
- Knowledge of activities, practices and terminology of the insurance industry, preferably commercial multi-line with a workers' compensation focus and relevant legal and administrative procedures.
- Ability to establish a personal rapport with peers, direct reports and others.
- Ability to develop and implement effective and efficient recommendations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated drive, determination, and persistence to achieve annual revenue targets.
- Seasoned management skills to motivate and inspire optimum performance.
- Presentation skills and confidence to present company and product in one-on-one settings or to large gatherings.
- Ability to think strategically with deep business acumen and an intuitive mind which provides a holistic approach at integrating disparate pieces of information and synthesizing recommendations and translates vision to execution.
- Proven track record to oversight of rapid prototyping and design for new tools, products or services.
- Ability to translate broader business initiatives into clear team objectives and concrete individual goals, aligning appropriately with other groups for efficient, coordinated action.
- Ability to build a high-performance team and mentor people.
- Strong leadership presence, presentation, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with empowering self-organizing agile development teams, actively promoting and supporting continuous improvement.
- Passion to establish cross-departmental channels to facilitate collaborative initiatives, earn trust and work across boundaries.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate entrepreneurial and innovative processes.
- Strong strategic planning, program development, project management, and staff development skills.
- Ability to think strategically and provide inputs into long term planning efforts from both an underwriting and product innovation perspective
- Ability to negotiate, collaborate and establish a personal rapport with opposing parties, and to resolve conflicts in a professional manner.
- Thorough knowledge with budget preparation and financial management.
- Must demonstrate leadership ability and team building skills to effectively supervise professional and non-professional staff and interact with all levels of management.
Work is performed in an office/remote setting with no unusual hazards. Travel is required.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimal skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this position description. The qualifications should not be viewed as absolute standards, but as general guidelines that should be considered with other position-related criteria.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity is valued, and we will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form. Candidates for the position stated above are hired on an \"at will\" basis. Nothing herein is intended to create a contract.
This job has expired.