Clinical Lab Scientist I - San Juan Capistrano,CA - Sunday - Thursday
This position is accountable for performing clinical laboratory testing, following all applicable policies and procedures.
- Independently performs moderate to highly complex clinical tests following the required procedures and policies. Performs newly introduced tests to the laboratory that require defined skills.
- Prepares and oversees the preparation of reagents or media as well as stock solutions, standards, and controls. Tests new reagents or controls and evaluates their usefulness based on standard criteria.
- Determines the acceptability of specimens for testing according to established criteria in testing procedures.
- Determines calculated results utilizing testing data by means of manual or computerized procedures.
- Accurately enters results of testing. Checks the computer review reports to monitor accurate reporting of laboratory results. Adheres to analytical schedules to maintain turnaround times of results.
- Evaluates the acceptability of routine and complex analyses prior to releasing patient reports. Recognizes and takes appropriate action in response to critical values or unusual or unexpected results, and documents action taken.
- Responsible for preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and calibration of laboratory equipment.
- Evaluates the results of instrument performance checks. Performs linearity, accuracy and precision checks as required.
- Performs Quality Control and calibrations with the appropriate frequency and evaluates results, to determine acceptability of result release.
- Selects and evaluates control materials using established criteria. Initiates a corrective action process whenever test systems do not perform according to the established criteria.
- Accurately performs and records proficiency testing.
- Demonstrates the ability to detect and correct technical and operational problems. Notifies the supervisor, and contacts manufacturer or field service support for additional assistance, if necessary.
- Ensures accurate tracking and labeling of reagents and supplies.
- Consistently maintains a safe and neat work area.
- Demonstrates effective two-way communication with staff, immediate manager, suppliers, internal and external customers, via meetings, written and verbal interactions, to create an informed positive environment.
- Actively participates in staff meetings, and in Quality Improvement meetings as assigned.
- Takes on additional business-related responsibilities or projects, as delegated by the Supervisor or Manager. This may include but not be limited to evaluation of new techniques and procedures in terms of personnel and requirements, method comparison, cost analysis, establishment of reference ranges, writing and revising technical procedures, and evaluation of productivity and key results measures.
- Responsible for following all required procedures, practices and related guidelines as provided in company policy and associated procedures for safety, environmental, and infection control.
- Collects and dispose of waste in proper receptacles.
- Demonstrates a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining confidentiality.
- Provides direct and constant supervision to unlicensed staff as necessary and trains staff in proper performance of both routine and complex procedures. Supports Training Programs, where applicable.
- Maintains professional growth and development through continuing education. The continuing education must meet the education requirements for California state licensure.
- Answers phones, transfers, or takes accurate messages.
- Complies with all health and safety policies, procedures, and practices. Required to use personal protective equipment.
- Other duties as assigned. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, but rather a general description of work performed by the position.
QUALIFICATIONS Required Work Experience:
Preferred Work Experience: Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Zero to three year's direct experience in a laboratory setting.
- The normal performance of duties may require lifting and carrying objects. Objects in the weight range of 1 to 10 pounds are lifted and carried frequently; objects in the weight range of 11 to 25 pounds are lifted and carried occasionally and objects in the weight range of 26 to 50 pounds are seldom lifted and carried. Objects exceeding 50 pounds are not to be lifted or carried without assistance.
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks. Frequent simple grasping, reaching and fine manipulation.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for long periods.
- Have good eye and hand coordination.
- Testing for color blindness will be required upon hiring or transfer into technical functions requiring detection of, or rating of intensity of colors (e.g., Fluorescent microscopy reading).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Application (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Strong typing skills desirable.
- Other automation skills helpful.
Current State Clinical Laboratory Scientist license if necessary (e.g. California)(Required)