Coordinator for the Undergraduate Program
Department of Biochemistry
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Coordinator for the Undergraduate Program in Biochemistry is responsible for program coordination of, and academic and career advising for, the undergraduate degree program in Biochemistry. This position also serves as a member of the School of Molecular and Cellular Biology Instructional Program team.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Program Coordination: Develop and execute a plan for recruitment and retention of students in Biochemistry. Serve as instructor for the Biochemistry Orientation course. Facilitate modifications to the degree program and course offerings when required. Represent Biochemistry at all student-facing events for prospective, admitted, and current students. Collect and interpret program assessment data used in continuous improvement cycle for the biochemistry major.
- Academic Advising: Advise students regarding requirements of the Biochemistry major in the School of MCB through individual conferences and group meetings. Meet with all incoming Biochemistry majors during summer orientation/registration in coordination with the School of MCB and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Consult with students about course expectations and academic performance. Develop and implement academic support programming. Utilize campus-level online advising systems, such as DARS, Banner, and UGradRecs, to help each student get the best service from all relevant units.
- Career Advising: Provide career development coaching and guidance to undergraduates in Biochemistry. Support students as they investigate and determine their vocational goals. Design educational programs to support student exploration and agency as they formulate their post-graduation plan. Support students as they develop the skills needed to be the best possible candidate for professional school, graduate school, or employment.
- Administrative: Administer department awards with awards committee. Other Duties as assigned to further the mission of the unit
Bachelor's degree in biochemistry, biology, or related disciplinary area or Bachelor's degree in education with substantial knowledge of biochemistry, biology, or chemistry. Training or demonstrated experience in teaching, academic advising, or counseling in a college or university setting. Preferred Qualifications
Master's degree or PhD in biochemistry, biology, or related disciplinary area or Master's or PhD degree in education with substantial knowledge of biochemistry, biology, or chemistry. At least one year of professional experience in teaching, academic advising, or counseling in a college or university setting. Experience working with undergraduates at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign or other large public university.
Successful candidates will have the following:
- Exceptional communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with diverse populations.
- Knowledge of academic skills and student development issues associated with undergraduate student populations, especially those that require enhanced advising and academic skills support.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues both within and across units.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to working with culturally diverse groups.
This is a 100% full-time Academic Professional position, appointed on a 12-month basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the deadline date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Application Procedures & Deadline Information
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and use the Apply Now button at the top or bottom of the posting. Upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three professional references. Applications must be received by 6pm on May 15, 2023. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois System is an equal opportunity employer, including but not limited to disability and/or veteran status, and complies with all applicable state and federal employment mandates. Please visit Required Employment Notices and Posters to view our non-discrimination statement and find additional information about required background checks, sexual harassment/misconduct disclosures, COVID-19 vaccination requirement, and employment eligibility review through E-Verify .
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal , or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com . Requisition ID
: 1016890 Job Category
: Education & Student Services Apply at:
This job has expired.