Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
Position Summary: Responsible for processing gyn and non-gynecologic specimens for microscopic examination by the Cytotechnologists and Pathologists.
- Typical Responsibilities
- Utilizes on -the-job training, acquired skills, departmental resources, professional judgment and problem-solving skills to accurately process specimens and ensure that all support systems are maintained and operating according to established procedures.
- Follows all established procedures recognizing the importance to patient care of each sample submitted.
- Processes gynecologic and non-gynecological specimens using various methods of preparation, including liquid base concentration (LBC) processing.
- Notifies department supervisor or designee in the event that a situation arises that goes beyond the individual's educational training, or experience base.
- Prepares and maintains all support systems as instructed including but not limited to: filtering, changing/rotating gynecologic and non-gynecological stains, alcohols and xylenes according to established procedures and accurately maintains the checklists of related tasks necessary for a clean and safe work environment.
- Maintains a positive and professional work ethic and strives to meet departmental goals as well as goals mutually established between employee and supervisor.
- Strives to produce accurate, neat, timely and thorough work at all times.
- Consistently meets departmental target time for non-gynecologic specimen processing completion.
- Maintains an open, effective working relationship with supervisor, cytotechnologists, pathologists, and fellow co-workers.
- Consistently demonstrates an understanding of the confidential nature of the work being performed and supports that understanding via compliance with the company confidentiality policy.
- Recognizes that areas for improvement may be offered by the supervisor and/or pathology staff and agrees, to the extent possible, to attain them.
- Required to work on call weekends on Saturday on rotating schedule to perform stats as requested.
- Maintains a satisfactory attendance record
- Supports TAT goals of department and will work additional hours as needed
- Assists other processing personnel as needed at the request of the supervisor.
- Enthusiastically performs miscellaneous duties with completion in a designated time frame.
Promotes quality client/patient relations and creates supportive climate by serving as a role model for behavior. Respects and maintains the confidentiality of information relative to the laboratory. Adheres to all laboratory policies and regulations. Works with minimal direction, consults with technologists and general supervisor as needed. Operates general laboratory equipment, including but not limited to: telephones, computer keyboards and CRT, and centrifuges. Effectively communicates via written, verbal, face-to-face, telephone, and computer methods.
This role will have routine access to Protected Health Information (PHI). Employees will be trained on reasonable safeguards and are expected to maintain strict confidentiality, as well as abide by all applicable privacy and security standards. Employees are expected only to access PHI when it is required to fulfill job duties.Education:
Minimum - High School Diploma or GED
Preferred - Two years of college with Science or Biology courseworkExperience:
Minimum - Training or experience in specimen collection and/or processing
Preferred - Two years of laboratory training or experience in specimen collection and processingSkills:
Ability to communicate effectively at all levels within the laboratory and with laboratory clients. Ability to read and write.Physical Requirements:
Requires light to medium lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Requires manipulation of tools, objects, and equipment using the following physical motions: pushing, pulling, lifting, reaching above shoulder height, grasping with both hands, pinching with thumb and forefinger, twisting with hand and wrist, climbing under, lifting up, lifting down, and reaching under. Routinely requires coordination of two or more physical operations. Routinely requires visual discrimination of color, size, shape, and motility. Requires the ability to hear audible alarms on temperature monitored equipment and automated analyzers.Environmental Demands:
Works in temperature controlled environment with constant exposure to biological and chemical hazards. May be required to operate fire and safety equipment or follow other safety procedures in an emergency situation. May be required to work with time constraints and in crisis situations.Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Pathology Laboratories, Inc
Sonic Healthcare USA is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to an inclusive workplace for all employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability, genetics, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This job has expired.