Data Engineer - Defense and Intelligence
Work Location: Fort Meade
Home Office: Linthicum, MD
At Elder Research Inc., a recognized leader in data science and machine learning solutions, we pride ourselves in our ability to find creative, cutting edge solutions to real-world problems. We are looking for innovative and inquisitive self-starters who enjoy understanding a problem space and building fast, efficient, and tractable data infrastructure to deliver real value for our clients. As a member of the Elder Research team, you will join a functional team of accomplished Data Scientists and Software Engineers that deliver custom analytic solutions. Some of your responsibilities will include: wrangling and fusing large and disparate data sets, assisting in the deployment of models and algorithms, automating the entire data pipeline, and communicating model results through user-focused data visualizations.
A Data Engineer supports robust and repeatable data manipulation, large scale infrastructure for data ingestion, and stunning data visualization for custom client applications.
Selected Technologies: (A combination of experience with some of the following is required)
- Work collaboratively with data scientists, business consultants, and software engineers to create and deploy dynamic data applications that help our customers make meaningful business decisions.
- Develop and deploy robust data pipelines and end-to-end systems
- Participate in every stage of the engineering lifecycle, from ideation and requirements gathering through implementation, testing, deployment, and maintenance
- Provide leadership and coordination for certain stages of the engineering lifecycle as needed
- Perform other technical tasks as needed, including writing project reports, managing, implementing, and/or maintaining technical infrastructure, etc.
- Ability and the willingness to tailor applications to a client’s business goals using an iterative methodology.
- Ability to consider both long-term stability and scalability while taking a user-focused approach to development and deployment.
- Communicate clearly both verbally and in writing to teammates and clients
- Ability to work independently in a collaborative, dynamic, cross-functional environment
- Travel to and work on-site at clients both local and non-local. Number of days at client site vary depending on project requirements
- Required Skills
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with high-level mathematical concepts and associated code-form representations
- Cloud: AWS, stack configuration and management
- Focus areas: data manipulation, big data architecture, data structures, database administration, cloud platforms and SaaS, development operations (devops), data visualization and user experience
Databases: SQL-based technologies (e.g. PostgreSQL and MySQL, Oracle) NoSQL technologies (e.g. Cassandra, MongoDB, Graph Database) Big Data: Spark/Databricks (RDD, Data Frames, GraphX) Hadoop (e.g. MapReduce, Hive and Pig) ETL and Data Integration: Kettle/Spoon, Luigi, Jenkins, Airflow, Nifi Indexers/Search Engines: ElasticSearch, Solr Deployment: Docker Languages: Python, Java, Scala, Familiarity with R O/S: UNIX, Linux, Solaris, ssh, git Desired Skills
· Data manipulation, SQL, relational databases, and/or NoSQL databases – experience as a DBA is a huge plus
· Cloud platform development and SaaS
· DevOps – infrastructure, continuous integration and automation, packaging and deployment
· Consulting experience is a plus
Headquartered in Charlottesville, VA with offices in Arlington, VA, Baltimore, MD, and Raleigh, NC, Elder Research is a fast growing solutions and consulting firm specializing in predictive analytics. At Elder Research, you’ll be part of a fun, friendly community. In keeping with our entrepreneurial spirit, we want candidates that are self-motivated with an innate curiosity and strong team work ethic. We work hard to provide the best value to our clients and allow each person to contribute their ideas and put their skills to use immediately. Elder Research provides analytic solutions to hundreds of companies across numerous industries. Our team enjoys great variety in the type of work they do and exposure to a wide range of techniques and tools. If you are passionate about integrating data, technology, and analytics in a team-based environment to solve problems, then Elder Research may be a good fit for you.
Elder Research, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Elder Research is unable to sponsor H1B visas for this r
This job has expired.