Wabtec Corporation is a leading global provider of equipment, systems, digital solutions and value-added services for freight and transit rail. Drawing on nearly four centuries of collective experience across Wabtec, GE Transportation and Faiveley Transport, the company has unmatched digital expertise, technological innovation, and world-class manufacturing and services, enabling the digital-rail-and-transit ecosystems. Wabtec is focused on performance that drives progress, creating transportation solutions that move and improve the world. Wabtec has approximately 27,000 employees in facilities throughout the world. Visit the company's new website at: http://www.WabtecCorp.com.
It's not just about your career... or your job title...it's about who you are and the impact you are going to make on the world. Do you want to go into uncharted waters...do things that haven't been done to make yours and someone else's life better? Wabtec has been doing that for decades and we will continue to do so! Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, Wabtec delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
As the Director - Engineering, you will be responsible for the engineering teams delivering our Wayside Monitoring Vision product lines in the Logistics and Analytics Business Unit. As the leader for Wayside Monitoring Vision Products engineering, you will lead a diverse team of engineers building products supporting our wayside mounted predictive maintenance products to deliver on value-add outcomes for our global customer base.
- Lead, mentor, and coach a diverse group of software, hardware, and machine vision engineers.
- Communicate effectively both within the immediate team and Wabtec leadership. Ensure team receives consistent messages and has a clear understanding of business direction, strategy, engineering initiatives and end results.
- Evaluate the current team footprint and then develop/execute on a location strategy ensuring we can hire and maintain top talent engineers at the appropriate costs and in the appropriate locations to staff the teams appropriately to meet our business and customer objectives.
- Lead the team with a thorough understanding of product development practices and successful problem definition, decomposition, estimation, and resolution.
- Responsible for building a world-class development team to support the system integration of the product range.
- Build a world-class software development team to consistently deliver complex software platforms and research projects of varying size and duration.
- Deliver resource strategy and plans, including use of 3rd parties/partners, etc., in support of development and support activities
- Deliver application and services to validate and ensure the products meets all operational standards.
- Collaborate directly with customers to understand business and technical needs.
- Drive increased efficiency across the teams, eliminating duplication, leveraging product and technology reuse. Focus the engineering teams on areas of highest value to the customer and ensure that everything we do is in direct support of customer value and business growth.
- Work collaboratively with partners on technology delivery and have a relentless desire to drive value for our Rail customers through technology and analytics-based solutions.
- Manage strategic business partnerships and relationships through Technical, Financial, Contractual, and Relationship Management, including customer interfacing.
- Influence decision making through an active partnership with cross-functional teams, especially Product Management and Commercial.
- Work with product management to understand market needs & vision; quickly translate that vision into demonstrable software.
- Work with project delivery teams, product owners and architects to develop software development plans.
- Support process improvements which guide the development, sustaining & support activities
- Ensure compliance with RAILS, Cyber Security Standards, and Quality expectations across our product lines and ensure the team is educated on those expectations and operates efficiently to achieve them.
- Keep project data relating to tracking and financials current, especially driving rigor and detail in engineering demand planning using Clarity and PowerBI. Make data driven decisions on costs and resources to support given initiatives.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or in "STEM" Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math).
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in the software and/or analytics domain.
- Minimum 8 years of experience in an engineering leadership/management role.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Rail industry technology knowledge and experience.
- Wayside measurement industry technology knowledge and experience.
- Experience in machine vision, artificial intelligence, and machine learning
- Proactively drives portfolio and investment decision to balance customer needs, install base requirements (refresh) and long-term enterprise differentiation.
- Obsesses over building world class products efficiently and to scale.
- Experience delivering large-scale secure, stable, scalable, and observable cloud-based solutions
- Ability to influence from both a strategic and technical standpoint across the function and business.
- Strong Knowledge of professional software engineering best practices including coding standards, code reviews, SCM, CI, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience with AWS or Azure cloud infrastructure and IIoT services.
- Evangelizes new technology, predicts trends, and identifies new opportunities based on trends.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to represent and advocate complex technical concepts.
- Must be willing to travel 15 %
Wabtec Corporation is committed to taking on the world's toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that commitment we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world's brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles...people like you! Wabtec Corporation is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or protected Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.