Executive Assistant, Human ResourcesPosition Type:
SA3322122Full or Part Time:
Full TimeEmployee Status :
06/29/2022Job Description Summary:
The Executive Assistant (EA) offers critical support services that assist the Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer (VP|CHRO) in the executive of the VP|CHRO's executive responsibilities. In addition, the EA will oversee reception desk coverage and routine office-wide administrative functions in the Office of Human Resources (HR) under the supervision of the Associate Vice President of Human Resources (AVP-HR). The EA will maintain professionalism and strict confidentiality with all materials and exercise a high level of discretion when interfacing with all aspects of the role and will represent the University and the VP|CHRO in a positive light through great follow-through skills and sound judgment.Responsibilities:
The EA sill serve as an HR liaison to select campus bodies that include the assembly of operations administrators, the executive assistants workgroup, and other entities as assigned. The EA organizes and coordinates executive outreach and external relations efforts on behalf of the VP|CHRO, and oversees special projects. To facilitate the coordination of information exchange, the EA will serve as an ex officio member of both the AVP Cabinet as well as the HR Leadership Team (HRLT). To these ends, the EA must be creative and enjoy working within an entrepreneurial environment.
The EA will be a collaborative leader who embraces Chapman's mission and culture; who has a passion for its staff and for the employee experience; who has experience leading teams and facilitating creative problem-solving, and who embodies trust, confidence, and respect and leads others by influence and example. The EA will have a track record of success building and mentoring high-performing teams in a higher education organization; and a facility for leading with integrity and transparency. The desired candidate is respectful, hands-on, flexible and adaptable, highly knowledgeable, and has a demonstrated ability to build credibility throughout the organization up, down, and across, by being a go-to thought partner coupled with an equally strong capability to implement and achieve impactful, measurable, and meaningful results.
Executive Assistant Responsibilities
Financial Management Responsibilities
- Manage an active calendar of appointments for the VP|CHRO, as well as other needed logistics
- Support VP|CHRO in their external commitments related to Chapman and other professional organizations and services.
- In partnership with the AVP-HR, supports the VP|CHRO's time/schedule with respect to priorities, goals, and objectives.
- Administratively supports VP|CHRO and AVP-HR, including assisting in scheduling and attending meetings.
- Actively manages departmental budget and coordinates the submission of budget-related
- Assists with the yearly budget cycle request process by developing budget narratives, budget itemization spreadsheets, providing regular ongoing budget monitoring and reconciliation reports, etc.
- Proactively engages the yearly budget process by working with the VP|CHRO, AVP-HR, AVPC, and HRLT to identify and prioritize budget requests and to cross walk them into requisite budget narratives, spreadsheets, and accompanying documentation as required by the Office of Budget.
- Manages the Financial Assistant, who has primary responsibility for the VP|CHRO's expense reimbursement and the production of quarterly budget reports to the VP|CHRO.
- Work with Policy and Events Coordinator to allocate appropriate money and to manage the coordinator to complete HR events within budget and scope.
- Managing daily budgets: ensuring that prompt attention is given to reimbursement requests, purchasing requests and other campus needs with financial partners.
Policy and Events Oversight
- Manage Financial Assistant and Front Desk Student Employees. Manage front desk operations and schedules. Provide assistance as needed to front desk operations to include but not limited to, answering phones, accepting package and other deliveries, lunchtime relief, and greeting and signing in visitors/guests.
- Complete daily administrative duties and complete a broad variety of administrative tasks that include managing an active calendar of appointments for the Office of Human Resources
- Answer HR Office email inbox and respond to internal and external requests for information, providing excellent customer service in a timely manner. Provide general information about HR policies and procedures and direct inquiries to the appropriate departments, both inside and outside HR
- Responsible for onboarding and offboarding incoming and exiting HR staff
- Prepare and administer all aspects of the yearly AQMD survey to ensure that Chapman meets the expectations of the County's air quality control.
- Assist in facilitating workstation moves including interfacing with IS&T to ensure timely completion.
- Schedule, coordinate, and track maintenance, custodial, and IS&T needs.
- Ensure maintenance of office equipment and order when replacement equipment is needed.
- Oversee the Policy and Events Coordinator (PEC) in the development of the annual events calendar and the timely execution of those events to budget.
- Collaborates with AVP-HR and PEC to ensure that all policies administered by HR are reviewed and maintained in compliance with our policy review schedule and in responses to any changes in university policy, local and federal law policy
- Facilitate biweekly HR all-staff meetings to promote an informative and fun environment and camaraderie amongst employees.
Other duties as assigned
- Discretion and confidentiality are critical traits for this position.
- 3+ years of executive assistant experience supporting C-Level executives.
- High School diploma or equivalent. Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Communication, Public Relations, Business Administration, or equivalent field.
- Present in a polished, professional, and welcoming manner with a diverse community and a variety of roles, including staff, faculty, students, alumni, other C-level executives, and Board of Trustee members.
- Possess strong relational and interpersonal skills and maintain effective, professional, and cooperative working relationships to collaborate successfully with all HR units and other University departments.
- Strong working knowledge of office management and executive assistant protocols, standard office procedures and equipment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Agile and able to learn new software and systems in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong writing, editing, grammatical, communication, and organizational skills, and a meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent people management, time-management, project management and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent telephone etiquette skills and the ability to take accurate, detailed messages.
Chapman University is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community. The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
The University is committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University can be found at www.chapman.edu/diversity.
Applicants for Staff and Administrator positions must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Chapman University does not sponsor applicants for Staff and Administrator positions for work visas.
The offer of employment is contingent upon satisfactory completion and outcomes of a criminal background screening and returning to the Office of Human Resources a signed original acceptance of the Chapman University Agreement to Arbitrate.