Job no: 514619
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Department: IT Engineering
Categories: Computer & Information Technology
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The High Performance Computing (HPC) Engineer as part of the UMass Amherst Information Technology Research Computing team directly supports the university's strategic missions of research as well as teaching and learning. The HPC Engineer operates and supports research-centric UMass Amherst Campus resources including an HPC environment as well as high-speed networking infrastructure in both Amherst MA and the Massachusetts Green High Performance Computing Center in Holyoke MA. They also offer individualized support for populations ranging from new adopters to seasoned experts. This requires advanced technical skills, a commitment to continuous learning, the ability to be an effective part of a cohesive matrixed team, the capability of independently executing complex tasks, and strong communication skills with both non-technical and highly-technical researchers, instructors, and students.
- Support, maintain, enhance, and expand the primary campus Linux-based HPC research environment consisting of hundreds of physical servers, thousands of cores, and flash/disk storage interconnected by high-speed networking.
- Manage HPC-cluster-based and network-based security enforcement in accordance with university policy, best practices, and applicable compliance regulations.
- Monitor for and lead resolution or escalation of emerging, detected, and reported technical performance and functionality issues in the HPC environment while exercising independent judgement within established support practices.
- Analyze, simplify, and automate processes throughout the HPC environment.
- Develop and maintain operational and process documentation for the HPC environment.
- Ensure the HPC environment continues to provide the necessary diverse set of services to support complex campus research requirements.
- Analyze, evaluate, and recommend new equipment for incorporation into the HPC environment.
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot general HPC environment software that supports research and teaching activity. Assist with resolving software build and installation problems arising when others are installing domain-specific software in the HPC environment.
- Directly support researchers, instructors, and students to enhance success within the HPC environment.
- Recommend changes and enhancements to improve user experiences and technological performance in the research-centric HPC and high-speed networking environments.
- Participate in short- and long-term planning for the research-centric HPC and high-speed networking environment.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Provide consulting to IT and others on matters related to research-centric HPC and high-speed networking.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field.
- Equivalent of one (1) year of full-time experience with design, development, operation, and support of an HPC cluster.
- Equivalent of one (1) year of full-time experience managing Ethernet and IP networking supporting an HPC environment.
- Experience with Linux-based HPC system software cluster management, monitoring, reporting, and job queueing tools.
- Proficiency with administration and maintenance of Linux-based systems including fundamental programming skills (Linux shell scripting, Python, etc.).
- Experience with HPC-connected storage.
- Proven ability to successfully deliver, improve, and troubleshoot services in multi-vendor environment.
- Strong communication, customer service, problem-solving, and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage and successfully complete complex, large-scale computing system projects.
- Willing and able to learn technologies and required domain knowledge at a rapid pace.
- Experience providing support to academic researchers (faculty, staff, students).
- Ability to work effectively in a dynamic, collaborative environment with colleagues across job functions and departments.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience as a primary operator of an HPC environment at a research-intensive higher education institution.
- Experience with Slurm scheduler using multiple partitioned resources and federated authentication.
- Storage experience with VAST Data systems, Ceph, and the Northeast Storage Exchange at MGHPCC.
- Networking experience with Dell Open Switching, Juniper MX & EX lines, Mellanox Ethernet and Infiniband product lines, and Palo Alto firewalls.
- Familiarity with integrating and supporting Singularity containerization in an HPC environment.
- Familiarity with cloud computing resource integration into HPC environments.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
- Ability to lift/move 50 pounds.
- Ability to install and remove equipment and components from data center racks.
- Ability to install, remove, and troubleshoot cabling in racks and overhead trays which may require the use of a ladder.
- Typical office environment activity.
- Monday - Friday, 37.5 hours a week.
- Required to work some nights and some weekends.
- This position has the opportunity for a hybrid work schedule, which is defined by the University as an arrangement where an employee's work is regularly performed at a location other than the campus workspace for a portion of the week. As this position falls within the Professional Staff Union, it is subject to the terms and conditions of the Professional Staff Union collective bargaining agreement.
PSU Salary Ranges
Special Instructions to Applicants
Along with your application, please submit a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. The position will remain open until filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Jun 15 2022 Eastern Daylight Time
This job has expired.