Join a place that's working to fundamentally change the way cancer is treated. Evolving to an outcomes-based model - we go beyond treatment to shape the cancer care environment and transform the whole patient experience. We work holistically, from early diagnosis to survivorship, ensuring no patient is left behind. Each of us believes that by delivering earlier stage interventions with curative possibilities and championing the development of precision combinations, we can transform the lives of patients living with cancer across the world.
The Medical Lead is a key s role within the US Oncology Medical Affairs organisation. Reporting directly to the Medical Head and working collaboratively with the Medical Head this position is accountable for proactively engaging internal and external leaders and will serve as a medical expert for a specific indication within disease area.
With a strong business acumen and experience in product launch, including proven ability to translate and appropriately align scientific goals and objectives into patient-focused tactics, the post holder will develop peer relationships with external scientific experts in Oncology/rare disease therapeutic area and key internal partners across the Commercial Organisation, R&D and Global Medical Affairs..
The incumbent is responsible for the development, alignment and execution of the organization's strategy and objectives across Medical Affairs' functional within a matrix reporting operating model.
- Leads the Core Medical Team (CMT) for the specified indication
- Accountable for integrated Medical Affairs Plan/Medical Strategy/Medical Launch Readiness for the specified indication
- Manages agreed indication budget liaising with the Medical Head to ensure effective financial management and reporting for the therapy area
- Responsible for the Medical Evidence generation strategy (US Medical Affairs studies, ESRs/RWE plans) as required by the agreed indication strategy
- Acts as Medical lead, working with brand teams to provide scientific and clinical expertise/input into strategic and tactical decisions in support of AstraZeneca products acting as a medical expert for disease area
- Accountable for the design and execution of the indication communication strategy (both internally & externally)
- Works with the Medical Head on KEEs/external stakeholders scientific engagement plans
- Collaborates with other US and Global medical colleagues/stakeholders to ensure consistency and appropriate approaches to communication and engagement
- Ensures patients voice and insights form the patient's journey are included in our plans and addressed if applicable
- Develops and maintains proactive relationships with leaders of groups (internal & external) identified as strategic partners, including both payer and provider groups, as appropriate
- Builds and maintains networks of Key Opinion leaders in the therapy area (External experts, Academic Institutions, and Prof Societies)
- Leads in the planning and participation of national and regional medical advisory boards
- Is accountable for providing medical insight and direction into promotional material along with learning materials for internal and external use
- Accountable for the planning and provision of information and training for external medical/scientific speakers.
- Leads on the clinical education and training for internal stakeholders such as regional scientific managers and members of product sales teams
- Responsible for maintaining key links into global brand clinical activities through proactive collaborative working relationships with Oncology R&D colleagues
- Accountable for supplying medical input into safety profile of the product in collaboration with Patient Safety (PS) physicians
- Acts as a key contact for Regional Liaison Directors, Medical Science Liaisons (MSL), and National Clinical Account Managers to appropriately support key accounts and indication priorities
- Main point of contact for Global Medical Affairs Leaders (GMAL) to ensure US strategy is aligned with global strategy/requirements and to provide US Medical Affairs inputs to Global strategy direction
- Works with the Medical head, to identify critical issues/gaps for the indication (i.e. data, communication, and knowledge gaps) and develop proactive plans to address these gaps
- Responsible for adhering to all required ethical and compliance standards as determined by the organisation and/or market within the role operates
- Advanced Degree in either discipline: Ph.D., PharmD or MD
- 5+ years' experience in US Medical Affairs within a pharmaceutical industry
- 2+ years' experience of managing end to end Medical affairs accountabilities for single indications within a disease area
- Experience developing and/or launching a new pharmaceutical product
- Experience in evidence generation planning and clinical trial design
- Extensive experience in external stakeholder management (3P's: Payer, Provider and Patients)
- Effective matrix leadership experience
- Experience working at the medical-marketing interface
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distill complexity down to what matters to our stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience in driving innovation and in putting patients first
- Ability to prioritize and deliver high-quality outputs on time and within budget
- Growth mindset, curiosity, and team spirit
- Strong Financial/Budget Management skills
- Board Certification, experience/certification in oncology, lung cancer
- Experience in immunotherapy
- Knowledge of the lung cancer landscape
- Experience delivering country medical affairs plans
- Knowledge of relevant Professional Societies and Scientific Medical Experts
- Working knowledge of FDA requirements
- Extensive knowledge of the latest technical, regulatory, policy and patient-centric developments
- Familiarity with OPDP, PhRMA code, and key regulations in the pharmaceutical industry
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting-edge methods, and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can't wait to hear from you.Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.