Umbra builds next-generation space systems that observe the Earth in unprecedented fidelity. This position can be located in our Santa Barbara office or fully remote.
Our mission: Deliver global omniscience.
To stay ahead of climate change, geopolitical risk, and other major crises and issues, we need a global understanding of what is changing, where, and how fast. Umbra provides easy access to the highest quality commercial satellite data available, which is an indispensable tool for the growing number of organizations monitoring the Earth. We empower our customers to create the solutions that inform, inspire, and address our planet's most pressing needs. We're helping to create a brand new industry that has never meaningfully existed before.
We are looking for aPlatform Engineer
to help conceptualize, build, operate, and scale our internal developer platform to support our software development and space operations teams.
The ideal candidate:
- Possesses a high degree of personal drive and accountability
- Approaches problem-solving holistically and with an open mind
- Flourishes in a team-first culture
- Possesses a strong product-driven and customer-oriented mindset
- Has a passion for innovation and to solve real problems
- Drive automation of application deployment for production and pre-release environments.
- Design, implement and manage continuous integration, build management and deployment scripts and systems.
- Identify areas for process and efficiency improvement; recommend solutions and assist in overseeing implementation. Actively facilitate continuous improvement.
- Ensure all necessary operational processes and procedures are carried out with a high level of attention to detail, expediency and on-time delivery.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or equivalent
- 2+ years Experience automating software deployments and following a continuous delivery and deployment (CI/CD) model
- 2+ years experience in using development languages such as Python, Shell or other languages, to build reusable tools
- Strong understanding of software development practices throughout the development, build, and deployment phases of the application life-cycle
- Excellent communication skills - written, verbal and interpersonal
- Experience implementing CI/CD systems with Gitlab
- Robust knowledge and understanding of cloud infrastructure and software architecture
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code, especially Terraform
- Solid understanding of cloud and application security, identity, and compliance
- Experience working on a team leveraging Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Flexible Time Off & Sick
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401(k)
- Stock Options
Umbra is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics.Employment Eligibility Verification:
- Standing desks
- Downtown HQ with Free Snacks & Drinks
- Free Parking
- Catered lunches
In compliance with federal laws, all hired persons will be required to verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States by completing the required Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9 Form) upon hire.ITAR/EAR Requirements:
This position may include access to technology and/or data that is subject to U.S. export controls pursuant to ITAR and EAR. To comply with federal export controls, all persons hired must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. lawful permanent resident, refugee or asylee as defined by 8 U.S.C. § 1324b(a)(3), or must otherwise be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State and/or U.S.Department of Commerce as applicable.