The Consultant will work with key program staff at Global Communities (GC), to pursue funding for Black maternal health programming in the San Diego region, with a focus on pregnancy and infant care, group support, the use of birth doulas, breastfeeding, participant and community education, community awareness activities, and other maternal health interventions for communities experiencing the greatest disparities in perinatal health outcomes. The consultancy is expected to take place over 4-5 weeks with the possibility of extension depending on availability of funds and donor deadlines. We anticipate up to 20 days of work will be required to complete the scope of work. This is a short-term, remote consultancy position. Candidates should be based in US time zones and have strong grant writing skills, as well as deep familiarity with the US context and the history and values of African American communities in the US. The consultant is expected to lead the writing and development of several proposal drafts, in collaboration with GC's technical team and working with reviewers to incorporate feedback and refine the draft throughout the process.
Scope of work:
The consultant will:
- Review the Request for Proposal (RFP) requirements in detail, noting and emphasizing in the proposal priority language, activities, and scoring criteria.
- Act as the lead writer on a funding opportunity for an existing Black maternal health program that uses an empowerment-focused group approach to encourage empowerment and social support, with complementary social service case management to link participants with needed community and health-related services and help women develop life skills, learn strategies for self-advocacy and reducing stress, and build social support. The consultant will have access to existing content from past proposals and key data points and citations to inform the needs assessment.
- Participate in project design meetings including the collaborative development of a logic model connecting program activities to outcomes.
- The consultant will be responsible for leading the development of the first draft of the proposal narrative and other agreed upon sections, with GC staff making regular contributions through a collaborative process. The consultant will incorporate feedback from the GC review team throughout the review process, including responding to and incorporating comments, and cutting and condensing text to fit within the page limits. The consultant will ultimately produce a final copy of the proposal in line with the donor's requirements for submission.
- Meet at least once a week or as necessary with the program team, facilitating inputs and incorporating feedback as appropriate.
Qualifications Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent grant writing and proposal development skills, and a track record of successful proposal wins
- Passion for achieving health equity and addressing issues related to Black maternal health Knowledge of perinatal health including childbirth education, doula services, lactation support, postpartum services, prenatal care, outreach and follow up, and health behavior modification
- Familiarity with group models of care (Centering Pregnancy, support groups, group health education) and the social determinants of health
- Experience or familiarity with State and/or County funding opportunities
- Education: Graduate degree preferred
To be considered for this consultancy, we request the following information be submitted on/ before July 15 th
(submissions will be reviewed immediately and on a rolling basis and up until a consultant is selected). Please submit your CV, cover letter, three references, and your daily or hourly rate with your application.
Global Communities positively welcomes and seeks applications from all sections of society. We are committed to a work environment that respects the dignity and worth of everyone and offers equal opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment.
This job has expired.