The level II Registered Nurse 2 functions to protect, promote and optimize health and abilities of those in their
care. Works to prevent illness and injury, facilitate healing, and alleviate suffering through the diagnosis and
treatment of human response, and advocacy in the care of individuals, families, groups, communities and
populations. Executes their duties through clinical and professional practice standards. Nursing practices evolves
over time as one gains experience and knowledge through clinical practice and ongoing learning. The level II
Registered Nurse has 18-24 months of experience. Competent in applying the nursing process and is beginning to
act as a resource to others. May take intermittent leadership roles in the department and in the professional
Clinical Practice. Uses the nursing process (Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning,
Implementation/Coordination/Teaching and Promotion, Evaluation) to guide practice and
respond to patient needs.
• Gathers pertinent data and information relative to patients' health status and
needs and analyzes the assessment data to determine actual or potential
diagnoses, problems or issues.
• Identifies expected outcomes or goals of care based on a plan to individualize care
and in collaboration with patients, families, groups, communities or populations
• Develops a plan that prescribes strategies to attain expected outcomes or goals.
• Nurses systematically implement the individualized care plan, facilitates the
coordination of care with inter and intra-professional colleagues and employs
strategies for health teaching and promotion.
• Evaluates progress toward achieving defined outcomes/goals and change the plan
• Implements evidenced-based approaches to care.
Professional Practice. Expected to engage in professional role activities, including leadership,
appropriate to their education and position. Accountable for their professional actions to
themselves, their healthcare consumers, their peers and to society.
• Uses resources and speaks up to help evaluate situations where unethical behavior is
in question. Consults other professionals to initiate ethical consults when needed.
• Works with a questioning attitude raises clinical concerns. Uses current literature to
guide practice and offer ideas for improve practice and outcomes.
• Implements practices that are congruent with cultural diversity and inclusion
• Communicates effectively and speaks up when communication from others is not
clear and may endanger the safety of patients, families, groups, communities or
colleagues. Effective verbal and written communication in the form of
documentation in the medical record are essential to effective practice. Seeks
assistance to resolve conflict if unable to resolve independently.
• Collaboration with patients and families is essential in developing an effective plan of
care and nurses must collaborate inter and intra-professionally for effective practice.
Actively participates in interdisciplinary care planning.
• The level of leadership for a Registered Nurse 2 (RN 2) is consistent with the level of
experience, knowledge and licensure. Must delegate appropriately and effectively to
unlicensed assistive personnel and ensure the quality of work. Effectively evaluatse
the completion of delegated care and provides feedback to unlicensed assistive
personnel and other nurses.
• Continues to learn and develop competence that reflects current nursing practice.
Completion of assigned learning materials and competency activities is expected
within orientation and beyond. Seeks feedback to improve performance and raise
questions when unsure of the correct path for patient care or professional
• Expected to contribute to the professional growth of others by acting as a preceptor,
clinical coach and mentor to novice nurses and nursing students.
• Seeks evidence-based solutions to clinical issues and integrate them into practice.
• Nurses contribute to quality nursing practice. Seeks to understand the metrics used
to evaluate the effectiveness of overall nursing practice by participating in
department huddles and meetings. Identifies opportunities to improve practice and
seeks support to implement change. Actively participates in improvement projects
and supports evidence-based changes to practice.
• Utilizes resources appropriately to plan, provide, and sustain evidence-based nursing
services that are safe, effective, and fiscally responsible. Speaks up when resources
are needed and advocates for patients so resources are provided as needed across
the continuum of care.
• Practices in an environmentally safe and healthy manner. This includes the handling
and disposing of medication and biohazardous material. Knowledge of and
adherence to regulatory guidelines is expected.
Minimum Education: Bachelors Degree
Minimum Experience: Less than one year of previous job-related experience
Minimum Experience Preferred: 1-2 years of previous job-related experience
Required: CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation),Current Registered Nurse License State of Illinois
Preferred: PALS (Pediatric Advanced Life Support),Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) Recognition
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Trinity Health is a family of 115,000 colleagues and nearly 26,000 physicians and clinicians across 25 states. Because we serve diverse populations, our colleagues are trained to recognize the cultural beliefs, values, traditions, language preferences, and health practices of the communities that we serve and to apply that knowledge to produce positive health outcomes. We also recognize that each of us has a different way of thinking and perceiving our world and that these differences often lead to innovative solutions.
Our dedication to diversity includes a unified workforce (through training and education, recruitment, retention, and development), commitment and accountability, communication, community partnerships, and supplier diversity.
Add your resume to our resume database that can be searched by employers looking to hire!
Stay up to date with job alerts! Customize your alerts based on a specific area, category and receive weekly updates!