Here at Scotts Miracle-Gro there is no such thing as a typical day. Our culture is constantly energized by new and exciting growth opportunities and at a rapid pace. Every Associate plays an important role in providing innovative solutions for today's gardeners and growers and contributing new ideas to improve operations. In our company you need grit, it is what we were founded on over 150 years ago and is what keeps us growing. Regardless of your level in the organization there is a platform for your voice to be heard and the ability to influence change. Family, community and hard working values are weaved into all that we do. Come grow with us, where we develop and nurture the next generation of leaders.
At Scotts Miracle-Gro we think people are like plants...in the right place you will grow and flourish. Are you an advocate of making the world a more beautiful place by inspiring others, championing new ideas and being intellectually curious? Not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty? If so, then we want you as part of our Scotts family... the world's largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden care products!
We're looking for a Turfgrass Scientist to join our Lawns R&D Team in Marysville, OH!
This position will be based at The Scotts Miracle-Gro world headquarters in Marysville, a suburb of Columbus, OH. Not familiar with Columbus? Visit columbusregion.com/columbus-2020/
The Turfgrass Scientist will work within our Lawns R&D category as a key contributor to help drive our diverse portfolio of consumer do-it-yourself lawn care products. The person will be working to develop new and improved products on our amazing flagship brands including ScottsⓇ and Turf BuilderⓇ lawn products. This person will be pivotal in identifying ways to innovate across one or more segments of turfgrass products such as fertilizers, pesticides and similar products depending on business needs and expertise. R&D associates are expected to fully participate in our business segment, both as a consumer in our retail channels and a hands-on researcher so that they develop keen insights that contribute to ideation and commercialization of new and improved products. Ideally the Turfgrass Scientist will have broad knowledge and experience in everything turfgrass - mowing and irrigation cultural practices, plant nutrition, establishment, pest control, varieties, cool season/warm season, seeding/sodding, etc. It is vital that the incumbent possess a working knowledge of experimental design and analysis, report writing, regulatory frameworks and an ability to relate research and turfgrass management experience into both product development and consumer communications. A strong scientific curiosity, excellent communication skills, initiative and independence are also essential characteristics. The scientist will also mine technologies and match them to both articulated and unarticulated consumer needs to drive the homeowner Lawns category. This position reports directly to the R&D Product Development Manager.
- Directs the planning, implementation and execution of field, greenhouse and indoor research trials that ultimately leads to new and improved lawn care products.
- Designs and conducts research tests that lead to clear conclusions, decisions and next steps.
- Prepares detailed research reports commensurate with professional standards, as well as presentations to communicate effectively to the target audience.
- Collaborates with cross-functional partners including R&D colleagues, marketing, supply chain, regulatory, procurement, etc. to ensure strong alignment on plans that meet business objectives.
- Develops strong relationships with a wide range of turfgrass experts in industry and academia to understand and mine new technologies, research methods, and trends to help drive innovation.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact with senior leadership across the organization.
- Critical in support of state and EPA registration dossiers, potential acquisitions or partnerships, competitive product analysis and cost-out initiatives
- Ph.D. preferred in a turfgrass science discipline. Candidates with a master's degree and 2-3 years of relevant turfgrass research experience (beyond the degree) will also be considered.
- Person must be passionate about consumer do-it-yourself lawn care, and developing products for our many retail channels that meet their needs and help drive our Lawns business.
- Possess a combination of deep expertise and working knowledge in the key areas of turfgrass management including cool and warm season species, varieties, seeding, nutrition, weeds, insects, diseases, irrigation, mowing, etc.
- Strong working knowledge in experimental design, statistical analysis and interpretation of research results that leads to clear conclusions and decisions. Consistently looking for ways to improve research designs, methodology, efficiency and effectiveness.
- Scientific curiosity and rigor, personal drive, and networking abilities to find breakthrough technologies, product improvements, and develop novel, cutting-edge methodology
- Willingness to function as part of a hands-on scientific research team and mentor/develop other team members.
Here at ScottsMiracle-Gro, we believe providing an enriching and engaging employee experience is what sets us apart from other organizations. We recognize our employees are so much more than just their job title so we offer programs and benefits that support them in all aspects of their lives. Wondering how we do it? Below is a glimpse of our highlight reel...
- Our Live Total Health program provides you with options to align to your personal needs. Selections range from medical, dental and visioncoverage for you, your spouse/domestic partner and dependents to an outstanding wellness reimbursement program to an unbelievable 401K match (up to 7.5%)as well as a 15% discount on company stock and much more
- We know ourtalent is our most precious asset and your unique development contributes to our organization's success now and in the future. Career growth at our company is not always a ladder. It's much more like a rock climbing adventure. Grow through exploration and experiences rather than a predictable linear path.
- We value the importance of family. We provide access to Maven Family Planning and up to $30,000 to accommodate for adoption, fertility and surrogacy.
- Be part of something bigger by joining one of our Employee Resource Groups focusing on diversity and inclusion, family, education and sustainability: Scotts Women's Network, Scotts Black Employees' Network, Scotts Veterans' Network, Scotts Young Professionals, Scotts Pride Network (GroPride), Scotts Associates for a Greener Earth (SAGE), Scotts Family TREE and our Associate Boards.
- Join a company with a strong belief in giving back to the communities where we live and work. We have a shared passion for service and volunteerism and believe participating in community service benefits our communities and strengthens our team.
Not interested in this role? Stay up to date on future opportunities by joining our ScottsMiracle-Gro and Hawthorne Gardening talent communities.
Scotts is an EEO Employer, dedicated to a culturally diverse, drug free workplace.
EEO/AA Employer/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Notification to Agencies:
Please note that the Scotts Miracle-Gro company does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Master Service Agreement, and specific approval to submit resumes to an approved requisition, the Scotts Miracle-Gro company will not consider or approve payment regarding recruiter fees or referral compensations.
This job has expired.