8115 - Corp Office Canal Crossing - 101 S 15st, Richmond, Virginia, 23219
CarMax, the way your career should be!
Senior Manager, Public Relations and Executive Communications
About this job
The Senior Manager, Public Relations and Executive Communications develops and executes proactive public relations and thought leadership strategies to position CarMax senior leaders and strategic business initiatives with priority stakeholders. This individual serves as a trusted communications advisor to senior leaders and supports communications strategy and execution for top tier media, national conferences, and investor relations communications. In addition, this position provides issues management support and strategic communications counsel for complex business issues.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
Purpose of the role
- Identify, propose, secure and support senior leaders with top tier media interviews and speaking engagements on CarMax business strategy and key differentiators. Support in the development of impactful presentations (both visuals & delivery) for both internal and external audiences.
- Oversee internal resources and PR agency teams in regular cadence of media outreach to high-value national media outlets and targeted regional outlets to drive top tier earned media placements.
- Independently provide spokesperson training and communications coaching for CarMax leaders to hone their messages, improve their communications and media skills, and ensure they effectively represent CarMax.
- Serve as the primary liaison between PR and Investor Relations teams and lead IR media relations with high attention to ensuring differentiated, accurate and fair reporting. Assist in the development of strategic IR communications, including quarterly conference call scripts, annual report, annual shareholder letter, analyst day presentations, and other communications materials as prioritized.
- Lead strategy and execution of new business partnership announcements, including the development of communications plans, messaging and press materials.
- Build relationships with key national media and serve as a company spokesperson.
This role is critical to positioning CarMax as a customer experience leader and innovator, a resilient business, a good corporate citizen, and an employer of choice. The ideal candidate is a communications leader with expertise in business strategy communications, corporate financials, and communications/media training. They will have demonstrated experience engaging and influencing senior leaders on key communications opportunities including news media interviews and presentations. Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven record of developing and managing successful PR programs, demonstrated success building relationships with national reporters and driving proactive media placements.
- Experience overseeing the work of communications professionals (and agency partners) to meet shared goals.
- Exceptional business acumen & experience developing and communicating company messaging in clear, concise and compelling way for internal and external audiences.
- Media relations experience with financial/business media outlets, such as the WSJ, The New York Times, Financial Times, and CNBC, among others.
- Experience managing & maximizing a PR marketing budget to drive business performance.
- Ability to work completely independently and handle ambiguity.
- Proven ability to coach leaders to improve their communications skills and effectively prepare them for interviews and other opportunities that have a potential for volatility or risk.
- Proven ability to manage cross-functional teams & channel stakeholders.
- Strong presentation development skills, including preparing PowerPoint presentations that tell visual & impactful stories.
- Ability to manage multiple channel programs simultaneously and to meet deadlines.
- As a first responder to media and customer inquiries, across the United States and in different time zones, this position at times requires on call night and weekend work times. This position will participate in assigned nightly and weekend media and social monitoring to ensure reporters and business partners receive timely, appropriate responses.
Education and/or Experience
- Ability to communicate complex messages in a manner that is clear, effective, and engaging, to a variety of internal and external audiences, including senior leaders.
- Ability to convey a professional and positive image to external customers, media contacts, etc.
- Four-year college degree (Marketing, Advertising, Mass Communications or related field) required, MBA preferred
- 7+ years of marketing and management experience
- Investor relations communications experience and subject matter expertise
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.