Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist - Analytical and Dissolution Sciences
Zoetis is a global animal health company dedicated to supporting customers and their businesses. Building on more than 60 years of experience, we deliver quality medicines, biopharmaceuticals and vaccines, complemented by diagnostic products and genetic tests and supported by a range of services. We are working every day to better understand and address the real-world challenges faced by those who raise and care for animals in ways they find truly relevant.
Zoetis Veterinary Medicine Research and Development, Analytical Sciences in Kalamazoo, MI is seeking a small molecule analytical chemist with expertise in dissolution methods at the Scientist or Senior Scientist level.
The incumbent will be responsible for supporting analytical research and development activities (method development, validations, transfers, documentation, stability, etc.) for drug substances and drug products with an emphasis on dissolution method development. The candidate will be responsible for supporting multiple projects and will work in close collaboration with partner groups across the organization such as global development teams (formulation, chemistry, safety sciences, etc.), regulatory, quality, manufacturing and clinical organizations as well as manage analytical activities outsourced to vendors. The candidate will be responsible for authoring, reviewing, and archival of various documentations such as specifications, test procedures, method validation plans, protocols, reports, stability data, SOPs, and CMC technical sections for regulatory submission. The candidate will represent analytical sciences on development teams and be accountable for appropriate projection and effective management of resources to comply project timeline, budget and deliverables.
Essential Skills and Competencies:
- Good understanding, knowledge, and experience with various modern analytical tools and technologies used in the pharmaceutical industry (e.g., U/HPLC, GC, Karl Fischer, dissolution, particle size, etc).
- Practical analytical experience working with APIs and a variety of dosage forms. This includes demonstrated experience in the technical areas of dissolution, chromatography, and a track record of analytical problem solving.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of formulation development, biopharmaceutics, and degradation pathways of drug products.
- Good understanding of analytical quality requirements for clinical supplies and technical transfer activities.
- Good understanding of the pharmaceutical development process.
- Basic knowledge of Quality by Design (QbD) principles and optimization techniques.
- Good interpersonal, leadership, communication and presentation skills essential for contributing to project teams and influencing decisions.
- Good documentation skills for recording research and ability to summarize results and data in concise memos, development reports, summaries etc.; experience in writing and supporting regulatory documents (e.g., validation reports, specifications, stability reports, development summaries, CMC technical sections).
- BS/MS in chemistry, laboratory sciences or other related discipline with at least 2-8 years industry experience preferably in the pharmaceutical industry
- PhD in analytical chemistry or other closely related discipline with at least 0-4 years of industry experience preferably in the pharmaceutical industry
The ideal candidate would:
- Stay current with new developments in dissolution science and their application to development projects.
- Use knowledge and experience to design, conduct and interpret data from experiments. Plan work independently based on specific objectives. Prioritize tasks; keep management/team informed of progress and adjust work accordingly. Display an understanding of project goals.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and recommend solutions for problems that arise in the course of experimentation.
- Understand safety. Consider safety as an integral part of planning for and performing daily activities.
- Communicate technical information efficiently and accurately. Practice active listening skills to understand information being communicated by others. Deliver articulate presentations in a team environment. Write clearly and concisely. Maintain laboratory notebook meeting corporate standards.
- Continuously improve techniques and work processes by introducing imaginative approaches and championing new technologies to improve group/team performance.
- Recognize the importance of relationships within the work group. Build a sense of partnership with others in the work group to achieve results. Build and maintain a strong network with people from other departments to enhance collaboration on assignments.
- Work as part of international teams, work with contract research organizations, and have familiarity with the Animal Health industry.
Any unsolicited resumes sent to Zoetis from a third party, such as an Agency recruiter, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Zoetis mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Zoetis employees, or to Zoetis resume database will be considered Zoetis property. Zoetis will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Zoetis will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. This includes any Agency that is an approved/engaged vendor but does not have the appropriate approvals to be engaged on a search.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.