Senior Scientist/Principal Scientist - Clinical Veterinarian
Kalamazoo Michigan is the world headquarters for Veterinary Medicine Research and Development (VMRD) for Zoetis. The Veterinary Service group, within Animal Research Support (ARS), at Zoetis, has the mission and responsibility of developing and implementing the program of veterinary care and providing veterinary support to VMRD projects at the Richland and Kalamazoo sites. We are seeking an experienced, innovative and highly motivated veterinarian to contribute towards delivering an exceptional animal care program as well as partnering with VMRD researchers to produce high quality research studies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
OTHER DESIRABLE ATTRIBUTES
- Suitable candidates will have a DVM/VMD from an accredited College of Veterinary Medicine and a minimum of 3 years of experience in clinical veterinary practice with a primary focus on companion animal medicine and surgery.
- Licensed to practice in at least one state with the expectation to become licensed in Michigan.
- Federally accredited or the ability to become federally accredited.
- Strong hands-on expertise in a range of companion animal techniques including handling, restraint, dosing, venipuncture, clinical examination and diagnosis, minor surgical procedures and necropsy.
- Previous experience in research setting as a clinical veterinarian.
- A diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Medicine (DACLAM)
- Experience with development of animal models for research.
- Experience working in biocontainment facilities and development of biosecurity programs.
- Additional academic training in an allied field (infectious diseases, immunology, epidemiology).
- Knowledge of animal welfare compliance oversight
- Experience working in animal programs regulated by USDA APHIS and visited by AAALAC.
- Network of research veterinarians and/or experts in a variety of veterinary disciplines.
- High motivation, demonstrated initiative, independent and flexible in thinking, strong interpersonal skills, and attention to detail.
- Strong documentation, writing, teaching and oral communication skills.
- Experience with multiple software platforms, including electronic data capture and data management.
- Experience with livestock and/or traditional lab animal species
Primary responsibility is to provide clinical veterinary support to research animals at the Richland and/or Kalamazoo sites in support of VMRD. Clinical Veterinary responsibility includes but is not limited to:
- development and/or implementation of population medicine programs and preventive medicine procedures
- provision of training to animal care technicians and/or study personnel
- study oversight by reviewing protocols and ensuring compliance with approved procedures
- attendance and participation in pre-study activities
- preparation of health certificates
- assessment of animals prior to shipment and after receipt
- authoring and reviewing SOPs
- performing necropsies
- serving as a non-voting Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee ad hoc member (ex. Animal Use Protocol review, semiannual facility inspections)
- participate in veterinary on-call duty on weekends and holidays on a rotational basis
- participation in facility design/renovation planning
Additional responsibilities may include:
-providing support to the Animal Welfare and Compliance Team by assisting with animal welfare audits of animal suppliers and contract research organizations; and participating in internal and external animal welfare audits (AAALACi, USDA, and internal audits.).
- Work environment: The person filling this position will work with research scientists, study monitors, line managers and technical staff. May be required to work with zoonotic and animal pathogens and chemicals. There may be handling of zoonotic organisms and working in BSL-2 facilities requiring shower in/out procedures.
- Veterinary support is about 25% in support of research projects and 75% in support of the animal care program.
- Participate in veterinary on-call duty on weekends and holidays on a rotational basis including some work outside of core business hours.
- Some travel (10%) to off-site locations may be required.
- Support for tuition reimbursement, continuing education and career development is available.
Any unsolicited resumes sent to Zoetis from a third party, such as an Agency recruiter, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Zoetis mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Zoetis employees, or to Zoetis resume database will be considered Zoetis property. Zoetis will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Zoetis will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. This includes any Agency that is an approved/engaged vendor but does not have the appropriate approvals to be engaged on a search.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at email@example.com to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.
This job has expired.