COVID-19 Vaccine Safety Mandate
This position requires that you must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 (even if working remotely) and present proof of vaccination before beginning employment. If you receive an offer of employment, you will be asked as part of the background check process to upload a copy of your vaccination card. If you believe you require an accommodation for medical or religious reasons related to the vaccine safety mandate, you may submit a request after you receive an offer of employment. Instructions on how to do so will be provided in your offer letter.
Position: Sr Product and Process Optimization Technologist BFY
Job Location: Hershey, PA
A Senior Product and Process Technologist fills a critical role in the successful development and implementation of product and process optimization initiatives in commodities, ingredients, product design, and manufacturing improvement for Hershey's Better for You (BFY)/Protein Business Unit including Zero Sugar, Lilly's, ONE, and Fulfill Brands. This role is fulfilled by technically understanding the specifications and functionality of commodities, ingredients, and manufacturing processes including interrelationships between the processes and products used in these brands. Application of Lean/Six Sigma principles are a requirement for manufacturing optimization initiatives.
- Assume technical responsibility for the development, validation, and implementation of projects related to commodity and ingredient sourcing, product design, and manufacturing optimization to sustainably improve supply flexibility, dependability, and cost structure. Responsibilities include all aspects of project management including schedule, budget, and results, in addition to technical resourcing of these initiatives. This leadership will include leading the project team meetings with key stakeholders including but not limited to Manufacturing, R&D, Sensory, QRC, Engineering, Business Unit CI, Procurement, and Supplier Quality.
- Recommend, design and develop product and process improvements within operations to provide the optimal solution for the given project.
- Develop initial process and product specifications, formulations, scope of work and schedule.
- Conduct proof of principle testing to evaluate technical and financial feasibility for proposed solutions.
- Review results of tests with others and recommend further testing and/or changes deemed necessary to formulation and manufacturing processes to assure process capacity and efficiency to meet the business plan.
- Prepare project reports, deduct significance of results and conclusions, and make presentations of findings to management as pertinent to complete assignments. Responsibilities include ingredient specification and formula development, the design, implementation, and documentation of manufacturing feasibility trials and product sample generation, coordination of sensory testing, cost estimation techniques, system and project proposal development, supplier evaluations, coordination of implementation with manufacturing staff, process commissioning, and successful transition of deliverables to plant operating staff, including training and technical knowledge to assure sustainability of improvements. Provide project management services as required to deliver optimization projects including cost, schedule, and resource management.
Product and Process Technical Support:
- Support product and process improvement initiatives throughout the BFY/Protein manufacturing network.
- Utilize food science and process engineering principals, technical training and judgment to resolve product quality, process troubleshooting and optimization initiatives.
- Utilize root cause analysis and structured problem-solving methodology to identify root cause, develop and implement solutions to projects.
- Develop and maintain up to date knowledge related to processing technologies, equipment, and product formulas in a minimum of two technical areas related to chocolate, confectionery, candy, or related snack foods.
- Develop knowledge and proficiency related to change management and capital program management from discovery through execution phase.
- Bachelor's Degree in Food Engineering, Food Science, or related education, Maters Degree or dual degree preferred.
- Four years BFY and Protein Confections experience with commodity, ingredient, and product design productivity, and manufacturing process optimization.
- Possess full working technical knowledge of product and process development and optimization, including formula and process development, optimization, manufacturing validation and implementation with BFY/Protein confectionery products.
- Demonstrated application of food science and process engineering principles in developing manufacturing solutions with a sound understanding of the interaction between process unit operations and product physical and sensory properties.
- Possess the appropriate combination of knowledge and experience in design of manufacturing systems for the food industry including: a basic understanding of common process unit operations and equipment used in the food industry, sanitary design, construction practices and general knowledge of common equipment suppliers in the food industry.
- Possess the appropriate combinations of knowledge and experience to have a basic understanding of Process Flow Drawings and preferably P&ID's.
- Working knowledge of Food Science and Engineering principles, Quality Assurance, Good Manufacturing Practices related to BFY and Protein Snacks.
- Working knowledge of lean manufacturing, TPM, and green/black belt certification
- Experience operating lab and pilot scale equipment/instrumentation and working in a manufacturing plant.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, exercising a moderate level of judgment in project execution.
- Possess time management skills and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities in an expedient manner, understanding the required business objectives, developing solutions and schedules, and efficient and expedient project executions.
- Demonstrate attention to details required to deliver results with sound project planning and project management skills.
- Interpersonal skills that allow for effective working relationships at all levels across the organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer literacy, fluent with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to accommodate unusual and extended work hours as required for project completion
- Ability to travel up to 50%
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact the HR Service Center (firstname.lastname@example.org).