Location: Indian Creek, IL
Description: Our client is currently seeking a Sr. Software Engineer
Below a candidate was subbed internally and here what was good/why they were out:
In candidate's favor:
• Experience with GKE, Istio, Jenkins, Helm, Terraform, and pipeline development
• Experience with monitoring (Prometheus, Grafana, Stackdriver)
When it comes to this particular job profile:
• Proficiency in 'building Web applications at scale' means that a candidate has designed and developed major Web applications leveraging various concepts that come into play at scale (database replication, query optimization, microservices, stream processing, monitoring).
• Proficiency in Docker means much more than mere exposure to Docker. It translates into such understanding of Docker that allows a person to unblock others (context, layers, build args vs. env, onbuild, volumes vs mounts, wait-for-it, etc.).
• Experience in POSIX (Linux) is understood as much more than being able to get by. It means being at home with shell scripting, thinking in terms of jobs, pipelines, subshells, exit statuses, etc., knowing what spellcheck and tee are, when to use xargs, etc.
• GCP experience is welcome but not essential. AWS experience is fine as well.
We are not looking for:
• cloud architects (Candidates who do not have extensive experience designing and coding Web applications at scale),
• DevOps-only (Candidates who do not have extensive experience designing and coding Web applications at scale),
• full-stack-only (Candidates who do not have any DevOps experience).