Vehicle Maintenance Specialist #499588FTE:
Associate VP Facilities ManagementJob Summary/Basic Function:
About This Role:
The Vehicle Maintenance Specialist reports directly to the Director of Campus Services, within the Facilities Management Department. The chosen applicant must be able to troubleshoot, diagnose, repair and provide routine maintenance on vehicles and other fuel and battery powered equipment at Lamar University. Examples of additional types of equipment include, but are not limited to; lawn mowers, chainsaws, leaf blowers, weed trimmers, portable generators, backhoes, tractors, automobiles, and other similar industrial equipment. The successful applicant should have hands-on knowledge of general automotive work. This position is considered as essential, and employees will be required to work as scheduled when University offices are closed due to emergency situations or natural disasters.
What You'll Do - Position Duties
As a member of our team, you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
Who We Are:
- Performs diagnostics, routine maintenance and cost-efficient repairs of University-owned vehicles and equipment, common of a qualified auto mechanic. Repair and maintenance tasks might include but are not limited to, brake replacement, mechanical component replacements, when it is not necessary to remove a significant portion of the drivetrain, oil changes, tune-ups, battery replacements, tire repairs/replacements, and other similar scoped repairs as assigned.
- Operates and maintains equipment used in daily performance of duties.
- Obtains contracted repair estimates for out-of-scope work and submits to director for approval.
- Works with Campus Services staff as needed to assist with other departmental priorities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve. Benefits - Job Perks:
At Lamar University one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
Our Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas Retirement plans
- Tuition reimbursement for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
- Paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays.
What You'll Need to Succeed
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
- A minimum of 5-years hands-on experience, or 3-years of hands-on experience when combined with vocational education in an automotive or related field.
- A valid Texas driver's license is required.
- Certified vocational training in automotive mechanics or related field is preferred. A high school diploma or GED is required.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with fellow employees. Must be able to maintain an excellent customer service.
- Must have knowledge of the hazards and required safety precautions associated with the use and operation of the equipment used in the work described above.
- Must demonstrate the skills required to operate the equipment described above.
- Must comply with established rules and regulations.
- Must have basic computer skills, to include using departmental email and the ability to use the internet to research parts and other job-related information.
- Occasionally required to work weekends, or overtime, as requested or scheduled.
Tasks require the regular and, at times, sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work. Some combination of climbing and balancing, to include climbing ladders, stooping, kneeling, crawling, working at heights and working in confined spaces. May involve the lifting of moderately heavy objects, up to 45 pounds. Requires a full range of physical motion to operate manual/electrically powered tools.
Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, weather, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, machinery, vibrations, traffic hazards, or toxic agents.EEO Statement:
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas SB 805, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications:
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
Security Sensitive Statement:
- Certification in a technical training program within the automotive or related field is preferred.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary:
$31,504 - $36,230Posting Date:
04/29/2022Open Until Filled: