The Stead Family Department of Pediatrics is seeking an Assistant Director, Clinical Services to lead and manage the administrative, operational and business functions of multiple divisions within the Department. The position will also lead and manage strategic projects and initiatives from development to implementation. This full-time position is based in Iowa City, Iowa.
Duties to include:
- Benchmark, develop, recommend, review, and monitor staffing models in conjunction with departmental administrator, HR Representative and Division Directors.
- Hire, develop and manage the performance of division administrative support staff and ensure adequate staffing, support, training, and development of personnel.
- Maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the public.
- Provide mentorship, development, and training opportunities for administrative support staff within the department.
- Provide advanced development opportunities and mentoring for staff interested in career development and scope expansion.
- Engage in personnel issues, including hiring, investigations, discipline, and termination, in conjunction with departmental human resources for relevant areas of oversight and management.
Patient Care/Services Delivery
- Develop budget or direct budget development for divisional units and create systems for effective implementation and monitoring. May have responsibility for revenue generation, which requires understanding of patient revenue processes, research funding, state appropriations, and/or other funding models.
- Analyze, evaluate, and recommend changes to grow and improve the performance of existing programs. Provide administrative support in the implementation of recommendations.
- Identify opportunities for administrative operational improvement across departmental and divisional missions including clinical, education and research. Provide direction and support for creative solutions.
- Provide data analysis regarding clinical operations, productivity metrics, financial metrics and strategic benchmarks to ensure operational, financial and strategic initiatives are being achieved.
- Provide financial oversight of divisional expenses, clinical billing and charges, and revenue for the entire revenue cycle. Engage in appropriate follow-up regarding coding and or billing discrepancies and variances. Develop mechanisms by which expenses can be managed, maintained, or decreased within budget cycles and over time.
- Oversee all procurement including purchase and use of all supplies and equipment at the division level. Review and approve expenditures and reconcile to budget projections.
- Utilize clinical informatics data to engage with departmental and hospital clinical care providers in support of operational improvements to patient care delivery.
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Clinical Department Administrator in planning clinical and fiscal operations.
Planning and Goal Management
- Research, develop and implement best practices to improve care delivery across units. Work with other departments on implementation. Collaborate with executive leadership team, division directors, clinical faculty, and medical directors from multiple disciplines regarding care and/or service quality/ delivery.
- Ensure maintenance and adherence to patient care standards as set by state rules and regulations, UIHC policies and guidelines, The Joint Commission regulations, and other regulatory entities. Ensure a safe and therapeutic clinical environment while providing the highest levels of customer service.
- Act as a liaison for the patient and pediatric services, resolve concerns and complaints in a timely manner as directed by the Clinical Department Administrator, in conjunction with care providers.
- Collaborate with Division Directors in the development of division strategic plans, implementation of strategic plans, and monitoring progress.
- Assist in developing strategic plan, implementation plans with unit leaders and monitor progress.
- Develop initiatives to improve operational efficiency within divisional business functions, as well as clinical operational efficiencies, analyze the impact of operational initiatives, and manage outcomes.
- Collaborate with physician leadership in the identification, proposal and implementation of new programs and services.
- Coordinate communication and support collaboration among staff, medical staff, and healthcare leadership.
- Engage and collaborate with physicians to identify opportunities for improvement, program development and capital budgeting.
- Represent the Department of Pediatrics in meetings or on committees with UIHC and College of Medicine Leadership.
- Model and promote system change across the department and within divisions to promote professional conduct and behavior of the highest integrity, exhibiting the utmost respect for all members of the University community; demonstrate consistency of action and purpose with unquestionable forthrightness.
- Communicate expectations and provide support and resources that are in alignment with the vision and strategic plans of the Department, UIHC and University to foster creativity and innovation in the workplace.
- Model and actively promote a culture of Service Excellence.
- Provide direction and collaboration in the administration of clinical and research grants, contracts and collaborations.
- Collaborate with research staff to assure clinical and research needs are met.
- Develop annual research plan for the division to assure timely submission of grants consistent with the schedule.
- Assure personnel appointments are managed within the grant resources.
Initiation and Planning
- Lead and coordinate strategic projects for the Department; provide management support and services.
- Collaborate with leadership to facilitate success of projects.
- Develop operational and/or clinical knowledge necessary to ensure adherence to internal and external requirements relevant to the project.
Executing, Monitoring & Controlling and Close Out
- Collaborate with leadership to develop project management plan, including scope, objective(s), metrics, resource requirements, deliverables, milestones, timelines and long-term sustainability plan.
- Identify and assemble project team, as needed; determine roles and responsibilities; identify resources; and develop project milestones and timetables to ensure timely execution of project.
- Estimate costs and develop project budget.
- Identify barriers, gaps or risks to be addressed with leadership.
Metrics and Reports
- Execute project management plan.
- Monitor project schedule, budget and performance through established metrics.
- Identify and address changes to project scope or budget with leadership.
- Recommend changes to scope, methodology, budget or metrics.
- Facilitate project meetings; develop and distribute meeting agendas and minutes to project team.
About the Department of Pediatrics:
- Identify method for collection of data for established metrics; facilitate data collection.
- Review and analyze data; evaluate progress against project goals.
- Provide status reports to project team and leadership.
The Stead Family Department of Pediatrics is a national leader in pediatric medicine. The Department's mission is to provide outstanding care to the children of Iowa and beyond by being a leader in state-of-the-art clinical care to children, performing cutting-edge research to find new treatments and cures for childhood illnesses and educating the next generation of pediatric health care providers. The Department comprises the medical and research staff of UI Stead Family Children's Hospital. UI Stead Family Children's Hospital is one of the nation's top-ranked pediatric care and research institutions, and Iowa's only comprehensive children's hospital. Percent of Time:
100% Pay Grade:
6A Benefits Highlights:
Regular salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
For more information about Why Iowa?, click hereEducation Requirements
- A Master's degree in healthcare or business administration, finance or accounting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Highly Desired Qualifications
- Minimum of three years of related business or operational management experience is required.
- Demonstrated operational, project and/or financial management experience in a healthcare setting.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency with computer applications and software programs, such as large databases and use of pivot tables.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse workforce and environment.
- Ability to effectively transmit, receive and interpret ideas, information, and needs through appropriate communication methods and behaviors.
Position and Application Details:
- Demonstrated supervisory and leadership experience.
- Experience managing a project or program that includes budget development and/or management.
- Experience using and extracting data and reports from an electronic medical record (EMR) system, such as Epic.
In order to be considered for an interview, applicants must upload the following documents and mark them as a "Relevant File" to the submission:
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14
calendar days and may be removed from posting and filled any time after the original posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be required to self-disclose any conviction history and will be subject to a criminal background check and credential/education verification. Up to 5 professional references will be requested at a later step in the recruitment process.
For additional questions, please contact Anitaemail@example.com. This position is not eligible for university sponsorship for employment authorization.
- Classification Title: HC Svcs Mgr/Asst Dept Dir
- Appointment Type: Professional and Scientific
- Schedule: Full-time
- Pay Level: 6A
- Starting Salary Minimum: 80,000
- Starting Salary Maximum: 110,000
This job has expired.
- Organization: Healthcare
- Contact Name: Anita Vanderveer
- Contact Email: Anita-Vanderveer@uiowa.edu