The Assistant Product Manager is responsible for the broad set of strategic activities involved in assisting in developing and managing a winning product portfolio in their assigned product line(s) while also laying out the pricing and GTM strategy across the organization. This position will assist in developing brand strategy, new product innovation roadmaps, and other initiatives to create sustainable competitive advantage and profitable growth at 10%+ CAGR or 3X market growth (whichever is greater). This position is part of the Product Management team and works in close collaboration with the Product Manager(s), Product Operations and Project Management functions within that team. This position reports to Director, Product Management (Wood Care & Abrasives).
Subject Matter Expert on assigned product line(s), with deep understanding of the product, chemistry, users, customer requirements and emerging trends
Drive Strategic Planning Process
- Assist in creating the 3-to-5-year strategic product plan that translates into actionable 0-2 year functional, business and marketing plans
- Assist in performing strategic periodic reviews of the product line analyzing it from a financial, market, competitor and user perspective
- Assist in identifying initiatives for revenue growth and margin expansion for the product line(s)
- Assist in coordinating a cross functional team to select initiatives based on P&L impact and financial investment to build into the platform's 1-3 year action plan
Product Portfolio Management & New Product Development
- Assist in creating and managing a competitive winning product portfolio for the product line(s)
- Assist in establishment of holistic innovation plans to create sustaining and breakthrough new product development. Assist in identifying opportunities for growth ideas based on user insight, market opportunities, trends and ideas. Utilize a deep understanding of target audiences to ensure that new products and services solve real user problems and capture opportunities
- Assist in building business cases including market opportunity, investments, profitability and growth projections
- Manage and execute small strategic & new product development projects envisaged in the 3-5 year strategic platform plan. Develop a detailed project plan to monitor and track the progress of the initiatives. Plan schedule and budget, set deadlines, monitor quality and progress, and manage budgets. Manage the stage gate system
- Align across the organization with Sales, R&D, Operations, Marketing, etc.
GTM & Pricing Strategy
- Assist in developing and executing a clear, compelling, aligned growth strategy to maximize the potential of Rust-Oleum, including identification of barriers to purchase, projects to be done, brand positioning, visual identity, product & portfolio excellence, and innovation
- Assist in developing multi-channel brand strategy and ensure optimal go to market strategy
- Assist in providing strategic direction and influence to ensure brand strategies and plans are effectively executed to ensure delivery of brand plans
- Assist in defining Strategic Communications & Demand Generation needs for the product line(s) and help inform marketing channels used along with the size of the budget
Product Line Branding & Value Proposition
- Assist in driving commercialization and brand activation efforts working cross functionally with other Marketing departments, including Strategic Communications and Trade
- Support user/market research & insights and competitive activity
- Education: 4-year BS degree in business or engineering, with an MBA being an advantage
- Experience: 3+ years of experience in product management and marketing functions as well as innovation/new product development; experience in consumer goods preferred
- An entrepreneurial mindset to quickly capitalize on market opportunities
- Insights-driven with the ability to take a spark of an idea and translate it to an unmet user need and/or market opportunity
- Analytic and strategic thinking skills, with ability to digest complex information and make data-driven decisions
- Strong financial skills to utilize the decision support systems to analyze multiple aspects of product line performance
- Ability to exert formal and informal influence across functions
- Passionate problem solver and creative thinker, with ability to pitch new ideas and be open to feedback
- Dynamic and agile; ability to think in a creative and strategic way but are adept at delivering operationally to ensure tasks are followed through to completion. Ability to work efficiently and flexibly to deliver results
- Empathy and good listening skills to understand the needs/pain points of your user/customers/ stakeholders
Rust-Oleum is an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to sex, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, or any other protected class.
This job has expired.