The ZRL Manager of Laboratory Operations (GM) is responsible for a ZRL clinical laboratory facility and operation of this laboratory. This oversight is in accordance with established Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and our policies, procedures, and quality initiatives. The GM of Laboratory Operations plans and directs activities of the veterinary laboratories by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate managers and supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Effective leader for ZRL laboratory, providing management skills and oversight to all laboratory team members. The GM will have approximately 6-10 direct reports.
• Plans, coordinates, and directs programs for the testing of veterinary specimens from our customers.
• Ensures that systems are in place to assure product quality.
• Establishes and oversees quality control functions to ensure accuracy and appropriate product and sample testing is performed, completed, and reported in a timely manner.
• Review testing, quality control, and other operational reports to ensure that quality standards, efficiency, and schedules are met.
• Establish and implement laboratory training programs, which assess knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as job performance and competency.
• Participates in the annual budgeting process and operates the laboratory within budgetary guidelines.
• Evaluates laboratory systems, processes, procedures, and equipment as they relate to operating efficiency, effectiveness, and regulatory compliance.
• Provides technical direction and expertise to new projects or product lines requiring laboratory support and evaluation.
• Advise management, quality assurance, regulatory, and technical personnel of laboratory activities.
• Prepares reports and technical papers.
• Participate in operational excellence initiatives and projects to drive a culture of continuous improvement to achieve site operational excellence
• Provides leadership in problem identification, investigation, and resolution.
• Directly supervises laboratory operations managers, oversees supervision of general laboratory supervisors, area coordinators, and all laboratory staff within the assigned hub lab location.
• Works in conjunction with our Quality Assurance Senior Management team in the implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the laboratory quality systems.
• Interviews, hires, and oversees performance of laboratory staff (or delegates as appropriate).
• Responsible for evaluating or delegating employee annual performance reviews.
• Assess and administer corrective action for poorly performing employees (progressive discipline process).
• Effectively coach all employees he/she is responsible for at location.
Ensures that proper training is received and documented.
• Oversees the document control system to ensure that:
o Laboratory procedures are reviewed to provide correct and timely distribution.
o Document control SOPs are followed.
o Annual review of SOPs is performed, and changes are implemented in a timely manner.
o All procedures related to laboratory equipment are current, have maintenance and quality control steps, and reflect applicable manufacturer operation requirements and guidelines, SOP manuals contain current versions of procedures and manufacturer inserts.
o Obsolete documents are properly removed from use and archived.
• Minimal travel (< 25%) to other laboratory facilities will be required.
• All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum 7-10 years of experience in operations management; Immediate preference given to either human or veterinary clinical laboratory operations. Immediate interviews for human clinical laboratory experienced leaders.
• Minimum Degree Required:
o Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college/university in a biomedical discipline (Chemical, physical, biological, clinical lab science, or medical technology).
o Master's Degree in Business Management (MBA) is highly desired.
• License or Certificate: o MLT (ASCP), CLS, MT (ASCP) or equivalent work experience in a clinical laboratory setting is preferred.
• In depth understanding of clinical laboratory operations highly preferred
• Successful track record leading teams and organizational effectiveness
• Human or veterinary clinical laboratory experience required with an understanding of lab operations
• Consistent exercise of independent judgment
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability:
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Attention to detail and organizational skills.
• Ability to manage a departmental budget.
• Proficiency in the use of personal computers and software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
• Ability to adapt to changing priorities.
• Walking, standing, observing others performing work assignments.
• Ability to work in an office / production environment.
• Potential exposure to blood borne pathogens requires some work tasks to be performed while wearing gloves.
• The physical demands described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Any unsolicited resumes sent to Zoetis from a third party, such as an Agency recruiter, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Zoetis mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Zoetis employees, or to Zoetis resume database will be considered Zoetis property. Zoetis will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Zoetis will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees. This includes any Agency that is an approved/engaged vendor but does not have the appropriate approvals to be engaged on a search.
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.
Add your resume to our resume database that can be searched by employers looking to hire!
Stay up to date with job alerts! Customize your alerts based on a specific area, category and receive weekly updates!